Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

1966 289 engine oil dipstick tube with thermactor

(1/2) > >>

socalgt:
Does the engine oil dipstick tube mount any differently to the engine with the thermactor system?

lancelot66:
Nope, same hole bolted up to the block all by itself. Since the coil is located on top of the intake, the same hole is not used for both the coil bracket and dipstick. Just the dipstick. Sorry I don't have a specific photo to post.

jwc66k:
A question remains on a 66 smog engine, was the retaining bolt painted or not? It would have been initially clear zinc (378604-S8) as installed, but when?
A similar question about 65 289 dip stick tubes, the coil and its bracket were installed after paint. Was the painted bolt removed and reinstalled with the coil? Would Ford change assembly line practices for 66 smog vs. 66 non-smog dip sticks?
Jim

lancelot66:
Those are some good questions Jim. I left mine unpainted but I have no firm reasoning behind doing this. My "guess" and what probably makes the most sense is that with smog, it got painted with the rest of the motor, timing chain cover, water pump, etc. Without, because of the coil and bracket, not painted because it was added later after engine paint. Does anyone know I'm now wondering?

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: lancelot66 on July 23, 2017, 06:55:13 PM ---Those are some good questions Jim. I left mine unpainted but I have no firm reasoning behind doing this. My "guess" and what probably makes the most sense is that with smog, it got painted with the rest of the motor, timing chain cover, water pump, etc. Without, because of the coil and bracket, not painted because it was added later after engine paint. Does anyone know I'm now wondering?

--- End quote ---
I cant say to how the smog equipped were done but a comment was made about non smog cars.  I have many observations on non smog survivor type hipo engines. All three plants had SB from Cleveland engine plant so they would logically be consistent on base engine items like being discussed. I have observed (no reason to think non hipo would be any different) The dipstick tube was painted . The dip stick was typically painted but seen some that were not(maybe had been replaced?). Coil bracket was more typically painted then not on 65-early 67.  67 on up was just reversed in that the coil bracket was more typically unpainted then painted.  Many vintage engine shots (GT350's  were often photographed and written about in magazines of the day) seem to confirm what I have observed. Just what I have seen others may think differently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version