1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Parking brake parts - 65

(1/6) > >>

MustangAndFairlane1867:
I am slowly re-assemblying my '65 K code (San Jose/2.16.1965) that's been in my garage for 20 plus years awaiting restoration.  So far I'm unable to locate these parking brake parts: equalizer, equalizer lever, and the equalizer rod.  There are quite a few used ones on eBay and re-pops in vendors' catalogs, but before I start buying I'd like to know if any of these parts had a date stamp or other ID markings.  I want to keep the parts on the car as correct as possible for my early assembly date, but I don't know if any of these parts actually carried a stamp of any kind I should be aware of.  Would appreciate any advice, and if someone has any of these original used pieces for sale, I'm here.  Thank you!  Ron...

CharlesTurner:
None of those park brake cable pieces were date-stamped.

Go for original or NOS.  Note there are differences in the rear cables in where the rubber insulators are positioned/sectioned and also the thickness of the insulators.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: caspian65 on July 23, 2017, 02:41:27 PM ---None of those park brake cable pieces were date-stamped.

Go for original or NOS.  Note there are differences in the rear cables in where the rubber insulators are positioned/sectioned and also the thickness of the insulators.

--- End quote ---
+1 -to add also that the NOS brake parts typically are plated silver and the assemblyline parts more typically then not were bare steel. Others may have different observations. :) The plating is easy to strip off if you choose to.

jwc66k:
Faced with clear zinc on NOS parts, early American rust on used and/or an appropriate dip in Evapo-Rust, consider bead blasting and a lite phosphate and oil treatment. The spring should be darker to replicate heat treatment. The nut on the threaded rod should be clear zinc plated.
I've found two different threaded rods with the difference being the length of the threaded portion. I don't know if this is a vendor variation, NOS vs assembly line, or an early/late phenomena.
Jim

CharlesTurner:
The equalizer bracket, the piece that the 2 cable ends attach should be zinc w/dichromate (gold color).  The threaded shaft should be the same.  The equalizer bar is usually clear zinc plated.  The 2 brackets at the frame rail, one on inside, one on outside for each side... the outer would be natural, but the inner was dipped in black paint.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version