Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

A/C System Restoration

(1/4) > >>

Stangly:
The 68 J-Code I'm working on came with factory installed air. Looking for some advice and references for vendors to help with restoring some of the many components. Can many of these items be restored and if not which items should one replace. I'd like to keep the engine bay original. Last question is it reccommended to upgrade the system to the newer refrigerant.

Thanks,

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: Stangly on August 07, 2017, 08:35:59 PM ---The 68 J-Code I'm working on came with factory installed air. Looking for some advice and references for vendors to help with restoring some of the many components. Can many of these items be restored and if not which items should one replace. I'd like to keep the engine bay original. Last question is it reccommended to upgrade the system to the newer refrigerant.

Thanks,

--- End quote ---

Classic Auto Aire has a restoration service available for original items.
I have not used them for every component so perhaps some others can chime in with their experience also.
I did have them restore my dryer from off the side of my condenser. That item came out pretty good and I am pleased with it.
I have considered buying a compressor overhaul kit from them.

CharlesTurner:
Classic Auto Air would be good to restore/test the evaporator coil and possibly rebuild the compressor.  Otherwise, I would recommend buying a new condenser and dryer as those usually do not fare very well over time.  The rest of it is just regular restoration work.  Install new box seals and heater core, new vacuum hoses, etc...  The '68 LH side control panels are bad about the lower section breaking off, in which case you'd be looking for a good original.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on August 07, 2017, 08:50:08 PM ---Classic Auto Aire has a restoration service available for original items.
I have not used them for every component so perhaps some others can chime in with their experience also.
I did have them restore my dryer from off the side of my condenser. That item came out pretty good and I am pleased with it.
I have considered buying a compressor overhaul kit from them.

--- End quote ---
I wasn't aware that they restored the original dryers. How much did they charge .Could you post a picture of the dryer that you had them restore? I would like to confirm that it is in fact a assemblyline dryer vs a service replacement.

ruppstang:
I have had them restore the assembly line dryers. It seems like it was around $100. I have one on our 68 HCS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version