1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Diff. case

(1/3) > >>

Brian Conway:
Colors on a 65 8 cyl. diff. case San Jose Mid May?  Primer red on the case ?  How about the C2OW-E hooded pinion body bolt heads and yoke ?  Brian

J_Speegle:
Must be doing an 8"

Epoxy (slightly shinny not flat) red oxide color before machining (inside and out of the case)

Pinion retainer (with hood style) is the same finish then machined so that the visible face should be bare steel around where the mounting bolts will be.

Brian Conway:
Thanks Jeff.  Yes 8" my car.  On the Freeway 70 mph or so and heard/felt a thump-bump.  Went into neutral right away and pulled over.  Lost some teeth on the pinion and then lost a bearing cap.  Ordered a bunch of parts today but still going to be a couple weeks before I' am driving that car.  Going to put a traction-Loc in but am staying with the 3:00 gears.  Will have to just muddle along with the CJ until repairs are complete.  Pinion bolts are black ?  Brian

J_Speegle:
Och   :o   Never had one do that before. Did tear the pinion out of a 55 Chevy rearend doing neutral drops in my college (yes went to school for a few months  8) years. Case (like a Ford V8 style) broke about mid way between the rearend housing and the pinion retainer. Another proud moment

--- Quote from: Brian Conway on August 14, 2017, 10:16:33 PM ---............. Pinion bolts are black ?  Brian

--- End quote ---

Look to be heat treated so yes the darker finish bare steel. Dip in gun bluing then oiled should work well IMHO

Brian Conway:
Got all the parts together; case, 8" trac-loc, 3.00 gear set and the bearing install kit.  Had the local San Diego Gear and Axle shop assemble and I installed.  The OE gears and diff. case, dated 5EC, are now unusable because of broken teeth and a broken bearing cap.  The new/used case is dated 5C22 and I would like to get a Marti tag made up to reflect the 3.00 gears and traction lock installed.  Pictured are the OE tag and what I think a new tag should look like.  Take a look and let me know what changes, if any, I should make ?  Thanks, Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version