Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

How to tell NOS decals from repros

(1/3) > >>

Hipo giddyup:
 I have purchased some NOS items locally and in the lot was a stack of Mustang decals. They include several of the "289 4V", Sprint (silver and blue), tire pressure decals, and one trunk decal for the spare / jack instructions. All are for the 65-66 model year. The reason why I am asking how to differentiate is that this gentleman who had these, (now passed away), was into Mustangs from day one and was an avid member of the MCA to which I even have a vintage MCA window sticker that was in the lot. There are Ford part numbers at the bottom but I'm sure repros can copy that too? Because he hadn't been as active into Mustangs in his later years, I would dare say these would have to be from the late 80's. I'm guessing repros would produced then, and even with the Ford numbers?
  I will try and post some pics of these decals tonight. 

jwc66k:
After 50 some odd years, I think that any NOS decals for your car would be rare to find, if not impossible. Your quest would be better off determining which of the reproductions is the closest to a factory original. Many posts on the forum address that.
Jim

Hipo giddyup:
Here are a few pics of the decals. Some have Ford part numbers some do not? Especially the tire pressure decals? I'm guessing all Ford decals would have had a part number.

jwc66k:
"Faithful" reproductions would include the Ford part number if it was part of the original decal.
Jim

Hipo giddyup:
Some others

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version