Author Topic: 1966 rear bumper alignment/installation  (Read 4159 times)

Offline socalgt

1966 rear bumper alignment/installation
« on: August 31, 2017, 06:34:55 PM »
I know there are a lot of problems getting the rear bumper to align nicely with the body.  Sometimes the problem is the reproduction bumper and/or brackets.  My bumper was not aligned well...the bumper was a repro and so were the brackets.  I found an original set of brackets, straightened them and restored them.  I used them with no additional washers, just the wavy washers installed between the bumper and brackets(one at each location) and the bumper fit perfectly.  In my case it was the repro mounting brackets that were the problem.  Thought I'd share this as I know how many cars have misaligned rear bumpers and how time consuming it can be to try to correct it.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1966 rear bumper alignment/installation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 12:56:39 AM »
A long standing rule of mine is to not mix repro parts together.  I've run into the same issue way in the past when mixing repro bumper brackets with a repro bumper.  You'll have the same issue with the front bumper... stick with OEM brackets.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:36:31 PM »
On my '65 I used the best repro bumper from NPD (Golden Legion)....as the bumper on my '65 was already a dented much older offshore Repro and had other issues and I was actually surprised by the quality of the New NPD Repro bumper.  It actually exceeded my expectations believe it or not..Now I know why Rick@NPD carries them.  I used it with a pair of the Original Bumper Brackets and all was well.  I used a Factory Assembly manual for a Guide to the installation and quickly realized that the 4 Metal "U" Spacers included in the AMK kit made the bumper stick out way to far...so I omitted them.  I used only the Wave Washers and made some adjustments and all the gaps matched up perfectly with my '66 Convertible which is a pretty Original untouched car and has all Original Ford Assembly line bumpers from new.  I was more than happy.

:o)

Tony K.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:38:32 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline evantugby

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 06:56:16 PM »
I know there are a lot of problems getting the rear bumper to align nicely with the body.  Sometimes the problem is the reproduction bumper and/or brackets.  My bumper was not aligned well...the bumper was a repro and so were the brackets.  I found an original set of brackets, straightened them and restored them.  I used them with no additional washers, just the wavy washers installed between the bumper and brackets(one at each location) and the bumper fit perfectly.  In my case it was the repro mounting brackets that were the problem.  Thought I'd share this as I know how many cars have misaligned rear bumpers and how time consuming it can be to try to correct it.
Any pictures of your restoration of the rear bumper mounts? 
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline evantugby

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 08:52:49 PM »
Any pictures of your restoration of the rear bumper mounts?

Does anyone have a good picture of the rear bumper mounts and install?  I am trying to figure out which way the bumper brackets, along with the washers, and wave washers attach.  Is picture 1 or Picture 2 correct?  BTW, I have no idea what a wave washer is for.  haha.  And my exploded view manual doesn't show this level of detail very well. 

Help!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:56:21 PM by evantugby »

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 10:52:22 PM »
From a purely mechanical viewpoint, picture #1 is correct.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline evantugby

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 11:53:23 PM »
I made some adjustments after studying Page 70-71 of Motorbooks Workshop Mustang 1964 1/2 - 1973 Restoration Guide and this is what I believe to be correct. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 02:21:49 AM »
I made some adjustments after studying Page 70-71 of Motorbooks Workshop Mustang 1964 1/2 - 1973 Restoration Guide and this is what I believe to be correct.

Never found shims used on the rear bumper (anywhere) on originals so IMHO neither is "correct"

Hiding them in between the bumper and bracket would likely  be the least noticed if someone were to look. Guess if you had enough sealant they could be hidden if done as your last picture (reply #6) was done
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline evantugby

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
Never found shims used on the rear bumper (anywhere) on originals so IMHO neither is "correct"

Hiding them in between the bumper and bracket would likely  be the least noticed if someone were to look. Guess if you had enough sealant they could be hidden if done as your last picture (reply #6) was done

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the comment.  I ordered a concours-correct rear bolt kit (link below) and it came with shims.  Someone on another forum mentioned that shims are used "as needed" to get the alignment right on the rear bumper.  Once I install the bumper I may remove the shims.  Thanks

https://www.npdlink.com/store/?p=catalog&mode=newsearch&search_str=17A750-1AK&parent=1&year=1966

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 01:58:54 PM »
which of the above pix duplicates the assembly manual?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »
which of the above pix duplicates the assembly manual?

Believe reply #6 without the shims is closest to what was typically done at the plants if that is what your asking
Jeff Speegle

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
in reply #6 picture, what is in between the black bracket and the bumper? i see one wave washer. what is the other? a flat or wave washer?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 06:48:38 PM »
in reply #6 picture, what is in between the black bracket and the bumper? i see one wave washer. what is the other? a flat or wave washer?

I see (believe that this is what is installed) one wave washer between the bracket and the bumper at each attaching bolt.

Way I have found them on unrestored cars
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 07:22:13 PM »
in reply #6 picture, what is in between the black bracket and the bumper? i see one wave washer. what is the other?
The book refers to a shim (LA-3043-A or -B, qty A/R) being used to align the bumper (if too close to the body, or angled incorrectly). I've got several off salvaged cars and used a couple to, well, align the bumper (accidents need "special attention").
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 08:32:48 PM »
+1
Have seen the u shaped shims used between the bracket and the car body to move the bumper out if needed to match QP extensions.  Not on all cars.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:35:50 PM by 67350#1242 »
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67