1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 - 70 Shelby

68 lower scoop screws

(1/3) > >>

ruppstang:
I judged 68 Shelby's at the KC MCA Grand National. I found some that used a phosphate finish screws to attach the lower scoop to the body and some with a SS or chrome finish screws. The 68 Shelby assembly manual calls for a S2 finish. When I got home I checked our 68 GT350 #602 and found it has the phosphate screws under the repaint. Our 68 unrestored HCS ( although a San Jose car ) has the chrome screws. Is it possible there was a running change during 68 production?

Coralsnake:
I think both finishes were used

ruppstang:

--- Quote from: Coralsnake on September 05, 2017, 08:35:48 PM ---I think both finishes were used

--- End quote ---
Was it a early - late thing or just random?

Coralsnake:
I have not studied it

OldMustangGuy:
Marty- since I'm one of the culprits that instigated your investigation I thought I better throw in a data point. There's an original owner, survivor (never been touched) GT500 KR here in Boise...May 15 build date for what it's worth...I had a look at it and the screws are definitely phosphate...it's a convertible but I wouldn't think that would make a difference in this case.

This past weekend I was talking with another 68 Shelby owner at the Intermountain Mustang Meet that was convinced the screws should be silver from his review of another survivor car but without seeing the car or knowing it's history I can't verify that it indeed has never been touched.

I'm now thinking that from a Concours point of view, even though there's pretty good evidence both kinds might have been used, the (most) correct approach is probably phosphate since it is documented that way in the Shelby assembly manual.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version