1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

What finish for underside stoneguard - 67 SJ

(1/3) > >>

Fastback2013:
Hello,

I have searched but could not find what the factory look would be for the underside of the stoneguard?
Would it be light grey with overspray of body color?
Or entirely body color?
In attachment a picture of my stoneguard, and looking at the positions where the fixation bolts sat it suggest body color?
Or red oxide (like backside of front valance) with body color overspray?
Thanks for clearing this out.
Have all a nice weekend,
Kind regards,
Jeroen

J_Speegle:
Body color direct and overspray over red oxide. Different red oxide color/tint from your undercarriage or (for examples) fenders possibly.

The way the part is formed will guide you to how much and where direct spray and where more of an overspray surface will be.. Example for this part would be the face (forward) once the part is installed)

Since they would want to make sure this area was well covered with body color so as it was sprayed the area behind it would get direct or heavy overspray typically though the bent down or backwards edge would produce a shadow leaving mostly red oxide visible directly below and behind for a short distance, at the bend/form. So basically you can find nice coats of body color on the back side with thinner paint in the shadows to fine mist across the rear side with slightly stronger in areas directly behind focus sections. What you don't want is a nice coat of body color on exterior surfaces and a nice red oxide on the back side with no overspray - of a great noticeable difference between the two surfaces that catches the eye

Fastback2013:
Thanks, Jeff!
Greatly appreciated!
The last part, I fully understand :

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on September 15, 2017, 04:06:23 PM ---What you don't want is a nice coat of body color on exterior surfaces and a nice red oxide on the back side with no overspray - of a great noticeable difference between the two surfaces that catches the eye

--- End quote ---
Since the stoneguard is a long, small piece , would it be hanged vertically for painting?
or rather held horizontally?
I do not know enough about spray patterns, but it must make any difference, I assume ?
Thanks again for your time and effort!
Kind regards,
Jeroen

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Fastback2013 on September 15, 2017, 04:42:03 PM ---The last part, I fully understand :Since the stoneguard is a long, small piece , would it be hanged vertically for painting?
or rather held horizontally?
--- End quote ---

Don't know. Never seen a shadow from the hook nor a run that would indicate a direction it was hung. Believe it was hung since that would match what we find in pictures and reduces handling of prepaint and post paint parts plus keeps them organized

--- Quote from: Fastback2013 on September 15, 2017, 04:42:03 PM ---I do not know enough about spray patterns, but it must make any difference, I assume ?

--- End quote ---

We would also have to take in account of the painters height, right/left hand, orientation of the part to the spray line and other factors but that is why we look for something in a range rather than a specific pattern on every one.

Here is a picture of a 70 upper valance to show how shadows were produced on the back side from the forward lip on that part.  The non-painted section has rusted where the red oxide was while where there is no shadow some body color can bee found. The rear edge was a sharp edge and did not face the exterior so there was not great effort made to paint that edge and due to this no overspray/direct application can be seen like from the front formed edge

Fastback2013:
By all means, very interesting!!
Thanks Jeff!!
Totally agree that it is quite impossible (for the most of us  ;) = hobbyists that restoring there car), that we can duplicate a correct estimation of left/right handed painter or at which height the piece was held, etc...
But you're totally wright about your explanation.
Thanks for adding that picture, it gives us a good visual taught of what you explained!

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on September 15, 2017, 05:11:05 PM ---The unpainted section has rusted where the red oxide was 

--- End quote ---
Since my stoneguard was heavily rusted (see my added picture at the beginning) at the underside, is it a correct assumption that the red oxide was less durable than the actual (body color) paint?
Or am I totally wrong?
Or said in a different way : is the red oxide not the same 'quality' in comparison to paint?
Do not want to mix different items, but just saw the question from 'cmfuser01' concerning the finish of the inner fenders.
The pictures that you posted are very similar with the finish of my fenders, and where the rust (now) is, was there once the red oxide?
Just added/asked this for better comprehension, that's all  :)
Again, many thanks for your helping answers!
Kind regards,
Jeroen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version