Author Topic: Retainer for trunk lock on California Special?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Murf

Retainer for trunk lock on California Special?
« on: September 17, 2017, 04:30:16 PM »
Does anyone have an image of the retainer for the trunk lock on a CS?  Have no idea if it is the same as steel deck lids - is it?  Need to find one for MCA events but honestly have no idea what I am looking for so any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Retainer for trunk lock on California Special?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »
Same one as used on the steel/Mustang trunk lid. Not sure if I have a picture of one out of a car nor where one might be in my boxes or shelves at the moment. My Calif Spec is in storage so its not handy.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 11:02:18 PM »
The same retainer was used on all 67-68 Mustangs. The trunk lock retainer differed from the door lock retainer because it had a small hole drilled in it so you could use a hook tool to reach in passed the tail light panel support and pull out the retainer.
I'll have to see if I have one I can photo.
Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:15:07 AM »
The same retainer was used on all 67-68 Mustangs. The trunk lock retainer differed from the door lock retainer because it had a small hole drilled in it so you could use a hook tool to reach in passed the tail light panel support and pull out the retainer.
I'll have to see if I have one I can photo.
Marty
To add , it was installed from the driver side from the factory. A very common mistake in restoration is to not use the clip with a hole and to install it from the wrong side. FYI the spring steel of the clip is not very fun to try and drill a small hole into to mimic the correct one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Murf

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 07:50:53 PM »
So the only difference is the little hole in the clip?  Probably the correct lock cylinder clip for the trunk will be found on one of the doors of our car.  They seem to have the same configuration - is that correct?
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 12:31:49 AM »
What if the guy that installed it was left handed?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 02:13:20 AM »
So the only difference is the little hole in the clip?  Probably the correct lock cylinder clip for the trunk will be found on one of the doors of our car.  They seem to have the same configuration - is that correct?
Yes .They are easy to confuse.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Murf

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 12:16:15 PM »
Thanks to all for the information.  Item corrected. 
John Murphy

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »
I'll toss in the photo as this is fresh in my mind having come from two MCA shows this year where the eagle eyes of Messrs Rupp and Speegle caught me not once but twice with the wrong retainer! Came home from Kansas City and just stumbled across the correct missing piece in a parts box...

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »

I thought the same thing ;) Must be an "odds" thing and if I were judging, I wouldn't deduct for that detail but might mention it in comments ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »

Your assuming that the ones installed from the drivers side were installed by a right hander :)  As far as we know those were installed by a left hander
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:20:58 PM »
I thought the same thing ;) Must be an "odds" thing and if I were judging, I wouldn't deduct for that detail but might mention it in comments ;)

Agreed, a very minor item that should never amount to a full point deduction on its own.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 11:56:51 PM »
It is just a very minor detail so it doesn't really matter but while on the subject it is quite the coincidence that all of the survivor type cars that I have studied have had that minor detail of the retaining clip installed from the driver side. Must be a lot of left hand installers or one installer doing a lot of cars ;) . The assembly manual illustration shows it installed from the driver side too . FYI 1967 ,1968,and 1969 manuals . I didn't check the 70 but suspect it is the same . Even though the assembly manual is sometimes flawed it seems to correspond in this case with what I have observed many times. More then 3 so I thought a pattern. Maybe others think differently . Oh well enough time spent on such a minor detail . I suppose a minor detail doesn't mean much unless a car has a multitude of them in a given section or cumulative over all.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:58:55 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 12:36:07 AM »
Here are a door lock retainer and a trunk lock retainer side beside. Beside the hole the shape is slightly different. Also a photo of our unrestored 68 High Country Special showing the correct retainer and the correct assembly.
Hope this helps solve one of those pesky little details.
Good luck John.

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »
Are there variations of the retainer?...note the one in my photo in the above post compared to the one in Marty's photo...the hole size on mine is slightly smaller and the flange bends the other way...it came from my 68 GT350...I assume it's factory but I have no way of knowing.

Here's another one from a 67 San Jose car that just happens to be in my shop...it looks like the one in Marty's photo.