Author Topic: 1967 Shelby trunk lid - Steel Lined Version  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
1967 Shelby trunk lid - Steel Lined Version
« on: October 03, 2017, 05:20:23 PM »
I have a 3/2/67 GT350 with an odd (well, maybe not for a Shelby) feature.
Although not an early car it does have a metal framed trunk lid. The front is all glass.
There are no indications of repair to the rear other than some bondo in the date coded valance near the backup lights.
This lid has been painted on the inside and outside. When we stripped it down there were no indications of any other paint other than the original Lime Gold.

I possess no pictures of an early metal framed lid (even after THAT many conventions) -- anyone care to share?

Considering that the metal piece had to grafted inside of the glass shell, the outer graft area would need to be painted. As it's so close to the visible edge, I ASSume it and the rest of the underside would be body color.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:04:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 Shelby trunk lid
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 06:44:56 PM »
First thing to check would be the date code on the steel liner.  Trunk lid damage or issues would not automatically mean that surrounding sheet metal damage would also have to be evident

On the early steel lined trunk lids I've always found them to be painted body color on both sides

Here are a few originals though specific details are difficult to make out on dark colored cars and edge details due to the weather strip

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:37:58 PM »
Curious what the Shelby vin number is and if the Hood is steel framed too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 12:31:35 AM »
Thanks for the details and pictures, Jeff.
I especially appreciate the paint answer.

Bob, the car is in the 01300's. As noted before, the hood is all glass.

I noted a date code on the frame consistent with all the other sheet metal date codes on the car.
[ON EDIT -- I misinterpreted the date. The frame is dated August, 66]

But this is a Shelby.
I'm not sure it can be stated that the deck lid metal frame would come from the original vehicle.
And, I'm also not sure that this deck lid wasn't in the Shelby parts room and just happened to find its way onto my car simply because it was the right color.
And if the deck lid was later replaced, it would be odd that they found an older deck lid of this color with a matching date code to the rest of the car.

Off topic a bit. Does anyone know how Shelby did these metal/glass lids?
Did they pull a batch off the cars, grind off the edges and then insert the metal frame into a pre-built shell doing them only for the cars at hand? Or were the deck lids pre-built from Ford supplied metal frames in primer, glassed and then painted at LAX?
Did the cars come to Shelby without either the hood or trunk as a knock down?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:57:27 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 12:58:01 AM »
Thanks for the details and pictures, Jeff.
I especially appreciate the paint answer.

Bob, the car is in the 01300's. As noted before, the hood is all glass.

I noted a date code on the frame consistent with all the other sheet metal date codes on the car.

But this is a Shelby.
I'm not sure it can be stated that the deck lid metal frame would come from the original vehicle.
And, I'm also not sure that this deck lid wasn't in the Shelby parts room and just happened to find its way onto my car simply because it was the right color.
And if the deck lid was later replaced, it would be odd that they found an older deck lid of this color with a matching date code to the rest of the car.

Did they pull a batch off the cars, grind off the edges and then insert the metal frame into a pre-built shell doing them only for the cars at hand? Or were the deck lids pre-built from Ford supplied metal frames in primer, glassed and then painted at LAX?
The trunk and hood metal inner structures were bonded on at the sub contractor that supplied the parts to SA. It would be very coincidental that the sheet metal inner structure date codes would match the sheet metal on the cars they were used on since they were not made the at the same time nor in the same place as the uni bodies.  The subcontractor would buy the sheet metal parts separately from Ford. The hoods and trunklids came completed and primed to SA. They were painted at SA .The cars came to SA without hoods or decklids. The Southern CA climate was accommodating .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 01:55:44 AM »

Ya the date being in the range of the other panels might be an issue.  Especially considering we're not likely to find another car int he 1300's with a steel lined trunk to compare with.  Guess your finding Feb and similar dates.  Of course they would not make one trunk lid with the steel liner so there would need to be other examples with the same or very similar dates on the liner if there were.

Like the hoods and the 66 hoods Ford likely provided/sold the liners to the company making the fiberglass and steel parts. Saved time and labor.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
From what I've seen of these hybrid deck lids, the quality is rather poor.
I can see why the early car's hybrids and poor quality resulted in SA ditching these
suppliers and going to all fiberglass with other suppliers.

Thanks for the details. I tend to think I have a replacement.

Bill

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 01:39:48 PM »
I'd like to comment on the style of trunk lid catch in the two pictures above.   There are 2 sets of holes - one set fixed and one set slotted on both of these examples.    I have noted that my 67 Shelby has the same style catch and haven't observed one on other regular Mustangs I've seen.  I know there were several variations.
Is it possible that Shelbys got a different style than regular production?   Comments/observations?
Thanks,  Kurt.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 02:57:58 PM »
I'd like to comment on the style of trunk lid catch in the two pictures above.   There are 2 sets of holes - one set fixed and one set slotted on both of these examples.    I have noted that my 67 Shelby has the same style catch and haven't observed one on other regular Mustangs I've seen.  I know there were several variations.
Is it possible that Shelbys got a different style than regular production?   Comments/observations?

They are found on unrestored Mustangs so you also find them from time to time IMHO on Shelby's  Don't know why the production difference in some other than possibly a second vendor. Nor do I know the purpose of the second pair of holes  though I know the subject has been asked and discussed over the years
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 03:09:39 AM »
I found an original Shelby all glass decklid.

Buying original Shelby parts is not for the thin skinned or thin walleted!

Hopefully my steel/glass version can find a new home later after some boo-boos are repaired.
Bill

Offline rcgt350

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 02:23:07 AM »
Sent PM
1967 GT 350 W White
1970 Boss 302 GG Restoration in progress
2012 Boss 302 C Orange