Author Topic: Door gaps on 68's  (Read 1223 times)

Offline mungus

Door gaps on 68's
« on: October 11, 2017, 06:38:07 AM »
Anyone want to hazard an opinion on whats a correct door gap for a 68'?

I've been aiming for a bit over 1/8" (around 4mm) on all my other panel gaps but now that I'm fitting my doors I'd like to know what to aim for.
Both doors were OEM, fitted OK and had correct shift markings, but alas I've had to use another RHS door thanks to a forklift operator...
The "C" lines are nice, but I have to add some metal and move some things to get it all looking nice anyway, so I don't mind playing with the gaps while I'm at it. I guess the 2 issues are:

- What's a correct gap, all around the door? (I know they varied). Or are there supposed to be different on the bottom, front etc?
- Is there a minimum front gap, to allow for opening and closing?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:50:03 AM by mungus »
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Door gaps on 68's
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 12:12:09 PM »
You should follow the procedure used at the assembly plants. The door was adjusted to the body first; to the rear door frame, the door sill and the top of the door rear to the top of the body rear quarter. The gap was up to 3/16 of an inch and the workers used a gage (I assume it was plastic or something non-abrasive) and a pry bar to achieve this. Obviously the adjustments were made at the hinges. The front fenders were not installed. The door striker was also critical in the adjustments. Only after all this was done (we're talking minutes here, like 2 at the most) were the front fenders installed. They, and the hood, are another exercise.
Jim
(Fixed a spelling error.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:09:00 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mungus

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 07:14:03 AM »
Thanks. Will do just that.
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:56:31 AM »
Here are pics from a low mileage Spring '68 Metuchen car... Original paint and unrestored.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 01:18:32 PM »
I'm dealing with this same issue on a '67 coupe I'm restoring.  I replaced both door skins, trying to salvage the original doors.  The gaps are so far off I am literally having to shave some areas down and use 1/8 rod to close gaps in other areas.  These pictures of the original '68 are super helpful in giving me an idea of the gap sizes to aim for.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 02:40:13 PM »
Here are pics from a low mileage Spring '68 Metuchen car... Original paint and unrestored.

Wow nice car! Yours?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 04:49:10 PM »
Wow nice car! Yours?

Nope, this was back in 1998 believe it or not!  At a Va Beach MCA national show.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 09:13:01 PM »
I thought that by 1968, all Shelby's were from San Jose?  Or was that earlier years?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 09:36:49 PM »
I thought that by 1968, all Shelby's were from San Jose?  Or was that earlier years?
65-67 SJ . 68 Metuchen . 69/70 Dearborn.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mungus

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 07:59:31 AM »
Thanks for those photos, very nice and from the same time and factory as mine too.
I have to add some metal to my replacement RHS door using 1/8" rods too. The rear of the skin is a fair way off, but the front lines up OK.

I have some work ahead of me...  8)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:03:16 AM by mungus »