Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Fuse Box Lettering - How did they do it?

(1/4) > >>

midlife:
My question is how the fuse box letters are painted white with sunken letters.   There must be a quick way of dipping the fuse box face into paint such that the recessed letters retain the paint, but how do you get the paint off of the higher surface, leaving the paint in the recesses?

I'm scratching my head on this...
I don't think there were lots of folks using hypodermic needles full of white paint carefully painting the letters...

carlite65:
i've used a water based paint, laying the paint into the letters then wiping the face with water....have no idea how the factory did it.

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: carlite65 on October 14, 2017, 03:30:57 PM ---i've used a water based paint, laying the paint into the letters then wiping the face with water....have no idea how the factory did it.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: carlite65 on October 14, 2017, 03:30:57 PM ---i've used a water based paint, laying the paint into the letters then wiping the face with water....have no idea how the factory did it.

--- End quote ---

Similarly, I did mine with a light brushed on pass of white Testers model paint and cleaned off excess with a single layer toilet paper, not the thick-fluffy kind, dampened with lacquer thinner and came out perfect in my opinion.

jwc66k:
When I worked in "Hi-Tech" in the 60's, we used a rubber "squeegee" like device to remove excessive paint from engraved lettering. That's about all I can remember.
Jim

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on October 14, 2017, 04:13:26 PM ---Similarly, I did mine with a light brushed on pass of white Testers model paint and cleaned off excess with a single layer toilet paper, not the thick-fluffy kind, dampened with lacquer thinner and came out perfect in my opinion.

--- End quote ---
+1. Me too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version