Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

where can I get the cloth material that cover the wiring in a Mustang

(1/2) > >>

Bossman963:
Im looking for that cloth type material as need to re-cloth all my wiring of my 70 B302 tresto
where can I find it or what is everyone using

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Bossman963 on November 06, 2017, 09:03:58 PM ---Im looking for that cloth type material as need to re-cloth all my wiring of my 70 B302 tresto
where can I find it or what is everyone using

--- End quote ---
I believe you have three choices. You use NOS , Use the reproduction , or send it off to one of the companies that re weaves the material on the old harness. The ones that I have seen that have had the weave re applied look different then the original and also the reproduction. There is not something a individual restorer can use to re-cloth all of the wiring. I do not have the experience with the people that re weave over the old harness other then examining a few that have been done. Maybe someone else here has. If there is another alternative that gives that original look I would like to hear about it.

J_Speegle:
Not easy but the outer woven jackets can be swapped from one loom to another if you can find one from the same period.  Example large thinker looms for power tops or windows on T Birds from inside doors or interiors where they were protected from the elements provide ones that look almost new.   But you'll need access to a yard or a donor car for this to work

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on November 06, 2017, 10:42:36 PM ---Not easy but the outer woven jackets can be swapped from one loom to another if you can find one from the same period.  Example large thinker looms for power tops or windows on T Birds from inside doors or interiors where they were protected from the elements provide ones that look almost new.   But you'll need access to a yard or a donor car for this to work

--- End quote ---
I have tried that before but besides difficulty in finding a suitable intact donor harness ,it gives a incomplete look IMO when I have done it. It is better then nothing but looks unfinished at the ends. Maybe I did not know how to terminate the ends like a factory harness would look properly . Maybe you have solved that problem with a technique I am not aware of.  Another shortcoming I have found was how to overcome the problem where another set of wires would branch off a main trunk wire loom. I wasn't satisfied with the look I ended up with but like I said there may be techniques that I am not aware of and my expectations were too high.

Bossman963:
Thanks Jeff & Bob for info as it doesn't look good or even spend all that time trying.

So my other question is what tape can be used for warping the wiring with ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version