Author Topic: Parking Brake Cable Idler Anchor  (Read 704 times)

Offline ninedrvr

Parking Brake Cable Idler Anchor
« on: November 12, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »
Does anyone know why there is a second plate welded on to this anchor bracket? This came with the Dynacorn floor for my 69. The piece looks like I can cut the plate off and then grind off the remaining weld. I just don't know if this was done for an original weakness or for what purpose. Any thoughts?

1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Parking Brake Cable Idler Anchor
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 03:05:39 PM »
Original weakness ?  Probably not.  More likely the Dynacorn part needed some extra help ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »
That's what I thought which would mean that this part is either thinner(weaker) than the original or that the original was hardened. The part looks to be within a few thousandths of the original thickness and I can't see Ford paying to harden the steel.

I don't have the original but I would be curious to see what gauge the steel is on this part.
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 06:20:50 PM »
Believe you will find that they fashioned like an original.  Ford for some reason used a one piece and two piece version possibly due to concerns or issues

Appears (haven't checked through all my pictures lately for this detail) but an early (one piece) later (two piece) thing

An earlier thread and discussion

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5581.msg31260#msg31260
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)