Author Topic: 1970 clutch fork finish  (Read 1161 times)

Offline oregon trail

1970 clutch fork finish
« on: December 08, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
I'm restoring a 1970 Mach 1 and need to know the finish of the clutch fork, bell housing, transmission and so on.

Thanks, Chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 clutch fork finish
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 03:17:50 PM »
First welcome to the site - how you find it helpful in your concours related needs

You will find out quickly that we will ask for as much information as possible in an effort to provide the best information we can. You might consider entering your cars information (when, where it was built, and how it was equipped)  as your signature or your going to be typing it over and over each time you post a request.

For this question you don't give us any idea of what transmission (three or four speed) what size engine  and so on.  So the generic answers are

Clutch fork - natural bare steel
Bell housing - bare with engine paint overspray from painting the engine with the bell housing attached
Transmission- Bare cast iron look to the main body with machined surfaces that would contrast. Nice new stamped steel cover. Cover and tail shaft housing to main case bolts - phosphate or darkened heat treated

Linkage - depends on what transmission you have and the other details.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline oregon trail

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
The car is a Detroit, 351-C with top loader 4-speed.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 06:49:28 PM »
The car is a Detroit, 351-C with top loader 4-speed.

Think you meant Dearborn ;)

So since we now have the engine I have to alter my statement I wrote in my first response. I don't know if the bellhousings were attached on manual transmissions at the time the engine was painted for that particular engine and year. Don't have any pictures of that area that are clear enough to help.  The base part other wise would still have been bare other than that possibility.

(Removed the mention of shifter type)

Anything we're missing?

Transmission brace would have been nice fresh bare steel with some slightly brighter surfaces where the bends were formed.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:15:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 02:04:54 PM »
I thought all 1970 4 speeds had Hurst shifters? I have looked at H and M code 4 speed machs that had Hurst shifters that I thought were original. So the Hurst shifters were just for Boss and CJ's?
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline Vcode

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 03:26:46 PM »
I thought all 1970 4 speeds had Hurst shifters? I have looked at H and M code 4 speed machs that had Hurst shifters that I thought were original. So the Hurst shifters were just for Boss and CJ's?

+1 four speeds got Hurst in 70

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »

No your correct my mistake - happens. Will correct the post above 

Can either of you help with the bell housing question as to if it was attached when the engine was painted on a Cleveland?

To the shifter - here is an article on the Boss Registry's great site related to the 70 Hurst shifter. Hope it helps

http://www.boss302.com/hurst.htm

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:18:47 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle