1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

1965-1966 Convertible Power Top Switch Question

(1/4) > >>

NEFaurora:
Subject: 1965-1966 Convertible Power Top Switch Question:

I've been throwing this one around for awhile in my brain... I've been wondering for awhile and maybe someone might have a clue as to why...there is constant power going to the '65-'66 Convertible Power Top Switch.  It's always got power to it... even when the car's ignition is switched off.  One would figure that a car manufacturer such as Ford would have the Convertible Power Top Switch wired to the "Switched" Ignition Key Power or ACC Power ONLY..... and NOT be Powered or have a HOT lead going to it when the car is off and the Ignition is OFF with the Ignition key removed....

Does anyone have any insight as to why Ford would do this???  This has ALWAYS Bugged and Bothered me!!  I've even though of maybe re-wiring it for "Switched" Power Only....it bugs me so much..

Is this supposed to be this way??? It seems really strange or are both of my '65 and '66 Convertibles wired wrong at the starter solenoid somehow?!??!???

Thanks Guys....as I look forward to the responses...!!

:o)

Tony K.

jwc66k:
A couple of reasons:
- The top motor draws more current than the existing wiring to the ignition switch could handle, so it would require a special harness and special ignition for convertibles.
- The decision was to run a larger cable from the positive side of the solenoid, thru a fuse/circuit breaker and then the switch so the top could go up without a key if it rained. (Only convertible owners would know this, Fastback owners didn't care.)
Jim

midlife:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on December 13, 2017, 08:06:00 PM ---A couple of reasons:
- The top motor draws more current than the existing wiring to the ignition switch could handle, so it would require a special harness and special ignition for convertibles.
- The decision was to run a larger cable from the positive side of the solenoid, thru a fuse/circuit breaker and then the switch so the top could go up without a key if it rained. (Only convertible owners would know this, Fastback owners didn't care.)
Jim

--- End quote ---
The man knows his stuff.  Excellent answer.

NEFaurora:

"so the top could go up without a key if it rained."

Ok... I'll buy that...

Makes sense..... and if the answer is good enough for Midlife.....It's good enough for me!

:o)

Tony K.

67gtasanjose:
Another point to consider...in the pre-1965-ish period of time, it might be safe to say that 50% or more of the U.S., (geographically speaking), people didn't always remove keys from the ignition at all.
G.M. Actually offered in many models of cars a "keyless" ignition option that the driver had to choose to lock if they wished to.

Obviously, this presented another whole problem with Baby-Boomers of the day and vehicle theft of the mid-60's and beyond brought about changes including locking columns and locking shifters beginning to become standard equipment in 1969 &1970 for passenger cars and pickups only a few years later.

Changing times, we are once again back to "keyless" ignitions but a whole lot smarter cars with technology.

All to say, a power top, being optional equipment anyways, it wouldn't be any sort of security issue in the day those cars were engineered. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version