General Discussion > General Discussion

Battery tenders

(1/3) > >>

Hipo giddyup:
I received a few battery tenders for  Xmas and was wondering how folks set these up on cars being stored. I ran the cables up under the rad support so I do not have to leave the hood popped open and I can leave the car cover on. Bad idea?? I have sealed batteries but was wondering if there would be any “ fumes” from charging/maintaining  that would be a problem? Wondering what others are doing to accomplish this?

Happy Holidays!

jwc66k:
Consider taking the battery out of the car for wintertime (is that when the daytime temperature only gets to 60?) storage. That techniques seems to satisfy all of your concerns.
Jim

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Hipo giddyup on December 26, 2017, 11:44:55 AM ---I received a few battery tenders for  Xmas and was wondering how folks set these up on cars being stored. I ran the cables up under the rad support so I do not have to leave the hood popped open and I can leave the car cover on. Bad idea?? I have sealed batteries but was wondering if there would be any “ fumes” from charging/maintaining  that would be a problem? Wondering what others are doing to accomplish this?

Happy Holidays!

--- End quote ---
There should not be any significant fumes from charging with the tender. For long term winter storage I would take the battery out just to be on the safe side. FYI I buy a 10 ft by 100 ft roll of plastic and cut 19 ft lengths out of it to lay on top of the car covers of my cars. The plastic doesn't seal anything in but keeps dust from settling on top of the car cover. The dust can eventually migrate through the car cover material plus they are a bugger to wash. When the plastic gets too dusty I throw it away or re purpose it for another job. I also store cars on lifts so the plastic gives me piece of mind that something will not drip on the car below. I had a instance many years ago of a roof leaking so it covers that scenario too.

KevinK:
I had 2 different ones blow up the battery. The damage was quite extensive and I caught it quickly. It would have been much cheaper to buy a new battery every year. $10;000 in damage or removed the battery.

bgp429:
Not a fan, had one of them short out and melt. Got lucky, nothing horrible happened. Don't go out to the garage every day so there was plenty of time for a disaster to unfold.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version