Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

solenoid

(1/5) > >>

tclark:
 I dug out my old solenoid to compare with the new one I purchased, the old one has an attachment on it anyone know what it is??
From my 65 GT Conv.  attached is picture.
Thanks
Tom

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: tclark on December 27, 2017, 08:42:17 PM --- I dug out my old solenoid to compare with the new one I purchased, the old one has an attachment on it anyone know what it is??
From my 65 GT Conv.  attached is picture.
Thanks
Tom

--- End quote ---
I dare say that is not the typical 65 solenoid . I have not seen that one on any year Mustang from the factory. Maybe others have. I would be interested to know what it did come from originally.

midlife:
The attachment is the circuit breaker for the convertible power lines.

Isn't it attached to the starter side of the solenoid rather than the battery side?

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: midlife on December 27, 2017, 09:22:34 PM ---The attachment is the circuit breaker for the convertible power lines.

Isn't it attached to the starter side of the solenoid rather than the battery side?

--- End quote ---
I have only seen the separate breaker that attaches to the post for the top. The one in the picture looks to be incorporated into the body of the solenoid which is what had puzzled me. If the breaker is attached to the starter side then you would only get power to raise or lower the top while starting the car.

midlife:
If you look closely, you'll see a metal flange below the circuit breaker that fits below the nut on the large post.

For some reason, I though that the solenoid looks to be upside down but looking a bit closer, it 's OK.  So yes, the CB is attached to the BAT post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version