Author Topic: 67 SJ Gaffer Tape Usage  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Paperback Writer

Re: 67 SJ Gaffer Tape Usage
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 12:45:30 PM »
Here are the locations where I found gaffer’s tape on my ’67 SJ Convertible (build date 9/22/1966):

- There were three spots in the trunk holding down the fuel tank wire.
- Tape near the power top cylinders in the rear seat area - presumably to guard against abrasion damage to the hydraulic lines.
- Tape along the top front edge of the convertible top well opening.  This went under the stainless steel trim as well.

PS – Please disregard the red paint on the floor panels.  That was not factory correct…
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 03:07:48 PM »
I really like the high resolution pic of the seam sealer application for this plant in this time frame. An extra credit feature of this thread.

On the inside the tape appears to be at least 3" wide, if not 4". Since I gather this area is now covered can you verify the tape width in the trunk? Alas, my body manual is still 2 days away ...
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »
On the inside the tape appears to be at least 3" wide, if not 4". Since I gather this area is now covered can you verify the tape width in the trunk? Alas, my body manual is still 2 days away ...

Looking at the pictures it appears that (for the trunk) we can see 2"-4" being used.  The assembly manual will show what Ford wanted - pictures will show what plants/workers did so don't expect them to match each other on this details. IMHO always go with the evidence
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
To the other locations

Could not find any examples on coupes or convertibles of the tape being used/applied as it was in other years. Example response #11

But you can see another location to add to the list for coupes - the lower forward access hole in the interior quarter panel. Just behind the door opening.. Ignore the speaker wires   ::)

Example of the shift indicator light wire taping to the driveline hump. Some other years and plants used masking tape at least for a period of time

Jeff Speegle

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 09:41:36 PM »
I just remembered one other gaffer's tape location on my '67 SJ Convertible.

There was a long strip of gaffer's tape along the top of the rear seat back as well...
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »
I have also found some Gaffer tape being used at the dashframe.
See pictures attached.
Not sure if this is helpfull or not, but I guess it can't be that bad  ::)
Can confirm that I didn't find the tape at the rear torque box pinch weld in my Fastback.
I will check the area of the steering colomn
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 05:22:11 PM »
Agree on the dash as my 67 also has Gaffer tape in that location. My gaffer tape roll just came in the mail too.

I got my Body Assembly Manual (the other 5 are back ordered) and while it does show the tape over the rear seat weld it appears this detail was ignored at SJ.

The Assy Manual is a great piece of information. However, while Osborne does note that the originals weren't that great, the size of the printed manual makes everything real hard to read without a magnifying glass. The originals must have been blueprint size!

I wished they had a digital copy. To that end and since I don't have a flatbed scanner that can handle the Osborne manual  large format paper size, I set up a camera and took a digital pic of each page, trimmed them all and placed them on my shared computers (one in the house and the other in the shop).
The ability to zoom in and actually make out the text and details is great.

Maybe someone can make an arrangement with Osborne so that we take small snippets of the page (<20% or so) and share them here with their permission. This might actually lead to greater sales since after you see the information available people might actually go out and buy a copy.

If nothing else a protected digital copy like the Fordmanuals.com people use would be great. And we wouldn't have to deal with backorders.
Bill

Online jwc66k

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 07:28:59 PM »
Maybe someone can make an arrangement with Osborne so that we take small snippets of the page (<20% or so) and share them here with their permission.
You will find Assembly manual pages, and portions of, on many posts. So far so good.
Now that you are "hooked", see the Library for Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets for you car's year.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 07:38:04 PM »
 Bill, two comments;

1.  These were large drawings, probably on Mylar or sepia based on the timeframe.  From those master drawings, scaled copies in blue print and other formats, was possible.  I made some drawings for Ford of some of my designs in the late 80’s.  The drawings were billable deliverables, and owned by Ford. 

2.  As improvements (better ideas, cost reductions - whether better ideas or not😎, etc) were done, they were implemented and approved as revised (or new) drawings.  What we should expect in the Osborn reproductions is that the latest versions, which would be most prevalent 20+ years after the fact, are what we are looking at.  As we traverse back in time towards the beginning of 67 production, we need to be very careful when interpreting those drawings.  This is exactly why this forum is so awesome, helping those that care about the gory details sift through all of the evidence and determine what is best for their car.  The copies of original drawings are indeed a great source, but are not always “correct” from a thoroughbred context.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:40:26 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »
The assembly manuals were collected and assembled (the Mustang versions) mostly while Jim was still alive. He had located a far number of versions from through out the production years. Most of the pages were damaged,  moldy and so on so he used  pages from one version and others from other versions.  And we accept that some pages were not useable in any of the manual he had collected though they are few. Because of all this we don't have a copy of an assembly manual from any one point in time but a collection of pages each likely was replaced at some point after a mistake was found, processes changed or for some other reason. The revisions and dates of publications are visible on each individual page

We had talked about the manuals possible existence for years Jim was the one that put his connections and applied his perseverance at putting them together.  We thought they would provide us with all the answers back in the 80's but as our knowledge increased about the differences between the plants and time periods we found out that they were not the final word but a part of the solution to many questions. Do miss Jim - may he rest in peace
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 08:13:33 PM »
Don't get me wrong -- I really appreciate the effort it took to make these available. And understand that there were revisions.
Simply wishing that instead of buying the paper copy that the owners of these manuals (Osborne's family?) could scan them at a high resolution and make them available digitally.
There are protection methods available (like Fordmanuals.com uses OwnerGuard) that keeps the digital versions from being copied without payment.
Just another way for them to make money!

I use Jim's Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets and thank him for his efforts as well.
I had his spreadsheet open, opened up Fordmanuals.com version of the Illustrated Part and Body Illustrations and then opened the MPC to get further details and showed all of this to a buddy on my Flatscreen in the shop.
He could not believe the amount of information available!
I then showed him some of Jeff's pics I saved from this forum on "how to" do sealers and he couldn't believe how far the hobby has progressed.

So thanks to all of you!

Here is a pic of the famous "upside down" floor drain plugs that verify the installation and show how my camera did when making a digital copy for my own use.
Bill

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
5F09C331248

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 08:28:45 PM »
Exactly -- I bought the 67 version of the red Body Illustration manual on the top left.
Yes, all of these pics are duplicates of what's in the MPC, but pruned to only deal with particular years and then only Mustangs. It's only illustrations.
A handy quick reference and then I drill down into the MPC if needed.

Do note that the OwnerGuard protection built into the manuals is a bit obtuse to load, but seems to work well after a few hiccups. Hopefully the license server keeps running!

Sorry this topic has wandered so far afield.
Bill

Online jwc66k

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 08:49:17 PM »
-  all of these pics are duplicates of what's in the MPC, but pruned to only deal with particular years and then only Mustangs.
More important, it's what was used by service departments, not exactly what the factory installed originally.
For a FREE version of the MPC, try http://squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 01:43:52 PM »
It's my opinion that the center of dash panel tape (see Fastback2013's reply #20  post, first pic) was used to protect worker's hands as well as to prevent scratches to the instrument panel during installation. This sucker can lacerate.

I have a number of 67 instrument panels (most are pedigree unknown).
One of them is a C7 Ford deluxe dash and features gaffer tape in three locations where the bottom of the panel might contact the metal dash during installation.

Bill