1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1970 Mustang

Buck Tag Mounting

(1/3) > >>

1970 Snake:
Where would be the correct location to mount the metal buck tag on my 1970 Dearborn Mach1, for some reason I can't find any pictures of the tag on my car but I have the tag and screw to attach it.

J_Speegle:
Lots of questions today  :) Will take car of the easiest first

Here is an example for the location (buck tag has been bent upwards to see) from 0F04F1022xx

One bent down as it would have been though it looks like it got bent at some point

They were attached to the radiator support before the black paint was applied to the area

1970 Snake:
Perfect Jeff, thanks, I looked at my rad saddle and found the tag screw hole, now that I knew where to look and have mounted the tag. I also found a picture in my files with the tag mounted, very hard to see it but that's exactly where it is mount tight against the hood support lug.

I have also found some explanations of the markings on the tag, and the author of that info indicated that the number on the top right hand side was the assembly line rotation number.

In your case picture its 210, on my tag its 057, but my rotation number is 519 according to my build sheet.
So what is this 057 number??

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 1970 Snake on January 17, 2018, 11:54:01 PM ---In your case picture its 210, on my tag its 057, but my rotation number is 519 according to my build sheet.
So what is this 057 number??

--- End quote ---

Cars were typically assigned two rotation number.

First - the one used to identify the unibody as it was assembled during the first "half" of the build. This is the number you see on your buck tag - #57

Second - Once the body was in a holding zone they were assigned a new and normally different number for the last "half" of the cars assembly. Your second rotation number was #519 found on the upper left corner of the buildsheet and at some plants written by hand on the lower section much larger.

Hope this explains clearly the difference and purpose of each

1970 Snake:
Awesome, great info thanks Jeff
I also found the 519 number hand written on the board that's used to protect the gas tank from the spare and its also hand written in large script in black marker across the build sheet.

Another question, was the rotation number marked in say white paint or marker on the front of the rad saddle somewhere or on the frame below the rad saddle??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version