1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

67 steering questions

(1/2) > >>

carguytroy:
I’m sure this has come up before. Did a search but couldn’t find the answer. I see elsewhere where they used both the long shaft steering box and the short shaft box in 67.
Is there a certain date give or take that they switched to the short shaft box?

Is the rest of the steering linkage the same other than the pitman arm(larger hole for output shaft on the steering box) for the short shaft box?

The car is a 390 car. Would that designate whether it has the short or long shaft box or just the build date of the car?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: carguytroy on January 18, 2018, 10:52:16 PM ---I’m sure this has come up before. Did a search but couldn’t find the answer. I see elsewhere where they used both the long shaft steering box and the short shaft box in 67.
Is there a certain date give or take that they switched to the short shaft box?

Is the rest of the steering linkage the same other than the pitman arm(larger hole for output shaft on the steering box) for the short shaft box?

The car is a 390 car. Would that designate whether it has the short or long shaft box or just the build date of the car?

Thanks in advance.

--- End quote ---
That is easy,the big block got the short shaft and the SB the long shaft . The SB also changed over to the short shaft in the later part of 67 production. i don't have the exact date in front of me .

ruppstang:
The SB also got a short shaft if it came with a tilt wheel option.

carguytroy:
That helps for sure. Other than the pitman arm, is the rest of the steering linkage the same for either box or would the big block effect that at all? Need to figure a few of these things out before I buy anymore stuff I probably don’t need or can’t use.

jwc66k:
For a detailed view, at least from a service standpoint, you might consider down loading the 1975 edition of Ford Car Parts, also know as the MPC from here:
http://squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/
It's 430mb in size with 45 files.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version