Author Topic: 1966 Metuchen undercoating product/color?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline evantugby

1966 Metuchen undercoating product/color?
« on: January 19, 2018, 11:49:24 PM »
Hello,
66 FB Metcuhen-build.  I am curious if someone can tell me what undercoating Metuchen would have sprayed onto my undercarriage and identify an equivalent product today that I can purchase.

Would love to also see pictures of the undercarriage of a Metuchen built Mustang too. 

Thanks!
Evan
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 1966 Metuchen undercoating product/color?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 09:39:16 AM »
the assembly plants did not undercoat the cars. that was done at the dealer if at all. assembly plant used sound deadner in the rear wheelhouses and under the front fenders. they are two different products entirely. suggest you do a search here in the library section for more info.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 03:08:46 PM »
the assembly plants did not undercoat the cars. that was done at the dealer if at all. assembly plant used sound deadner in the rear wheelhouses and under the front fenders. they are two different products entirely. suggest you do a search here in the library section for more info.

+1

Your undercarriage would have had a red oxide epoxy primer sealer applied from the firewall rearward by jets mounted below the moving unibody then sprayed with another application of similar red oxide from the firewall forward by hand. Rear wheel wells would have had sound deadener applied to the rear wheel wells when the same product was applied to the trunk and interior areas  while the front wheel wells would have received sound deadener after all the painting was done and the car pretty much completed to seal out water and protect from other things.

Should be plenty of prior threads relatd to what others have had success with as far as reproducing the original look (heavy thick lumpy drippy ;)  of the factory sound deadener.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
Here`s a couple of pics of my MAR 66 Metuchen Conv. after I cleaned off the road grime.  It is ORIGINAL and never been touched below the rocker mouldings.

Disregard the incorrect Arvinode exhaust.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:06:14 AM by bryancobb »
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 06:02:45 PM »
Here`s a couple of pics of my MAR 66 Metuchen Conv. after I cleaned off the road grime.  It is ORIGINAL and never been touched below the rocker mouldings.

Thanks for posting (kept me from having to do so  :)

They are also a good example of how camera and light setting can change how a color looks. The last three pictures are a stark reminder of this.
For everyone that will view this post can you tell us which picture (with your given monitor settings) is the closest in tone and tint to the color in person?

Jeff Speegle

Offline dsielke

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 06:25:52 PM »
I would also assume the body color overspray and rocker pinchweld blackout overspray paint were removed during the cleaning process?
6R09A138419: 1966 GT Fastback, Springtime Yellow
6R08T138429: 1966 Convertible, Tahoe Turquoise

Offline sgl66

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 10:04:18 PM »
They are also a good example of how camera and light setting can change how a color looks. The last three pictures are a stark reminder of this.
An example to what Jeff said, a couple years ago I went through this trying to nail down the color under my car. I went to Lowe’s, Home Depot and some other paint stores and grabbed a stack of color chips. The one pictured matched the color of a small piece of paint from where the transmission support is. You can see from the paint card that even the color shifts quite a bit in the picture. I used that card to bring to an auto paint store to have paint mixed and took the computer guess work out of the equation
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 10:19:17 PM »
An example to what Jeff said, a couple years ago I went through this trying to nail down the color under my car. I went to Lowe’s, Home Depot and some other paint stores and grabbed a stack of color chips.............

Very creative using interior and exterior house and fence paint for comparison. I'm afraid I'm too detail orientated that even the difference in gloss level would throw my eye off but I guess I could spray some gloss to the paint cards once I narrowed it down to three or four possibilities.

Thanks for the idea. Spent about 3 months matching one floor color back years ago then the local auto paint stores still used the individual weights and scales to make formulas. Got to where (when I can) I just save sections of floors with original paint to use as a starting or finishing point depending on the project. If the color is know - then we go with that if not we use another car/floor sample from the same plant and as close in time period as we can.  Of course don't have every plant and year represented - yet   ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline evantugby

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 10:00:17 PM »
Thanks everyone, especially for the pictures.  I ordered a red oxide epoxy primer from SPI (https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/) along with a satin black epoxy to paint the engine bay.  I will use these pictures to help figure out what was painted red and what wasn't.  Could use some more pictures of the area below the engine to see what was painted in red oxide primer if anyone has them.

Thank you!

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline evantugby

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 10:03:33 PM »

Disregard the incorrect Arvinode exhaust.

Big thanks for these pictures!

Offline evantugby

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 12:20:34 AM »

Wow!  Library proved very useful!  I didn't even know about this area of this site.  Thank you for the great tip!

Offline rrenz

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 09:06:20 PM »
If it helps I've included a few photos of my pretty untouched Jan Metuchen undercarriage after initial cleaning to start the underside restoration/preservation.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:08:21 PM by rrenz »
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline evantugby

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »
If it helps I've included a few photos of my pretty untouched Jan Metuchen undercarriage after initial cleaning to start the underside restoration/preservation.
Hello Sir,
Great pictures.  Thank you for them.  Are those drips of red oxide primer or is that water from it being wet?

Can I ask for a favor?  Would love to see the front undercarriage of your car near and below the engine.  Can you upload a few more pictures?

Current status of my kar in picture below. 

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 12:04:59 PM »
drips in the primer coat. common thing to see on unrestored cars.
5F09C331248

Offline rrenz

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »
As stated above my car does have some pretty heavy drips and runs. Unfortunately the front of the car and the rear wheel wells were pretty heavily undercoated at some point so not much is visible at the moment. I plan on doing a front rebuild at some point and see what I can uncover but haven't gotten to that yet.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary