Author Topic: 1966 Master Cylinder date code???  (Read 902 times)

Offline Morsel

1966 Master Cylinder date code???
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:07:58 PM »
I know there's a running thread about this, but wondering how I read the date code on this one. This is said to be an original 66 GT/ master cylinder and looking to purchase one for my car and want to know how to read this date or if this is a service part or something? I haven't seen this single digit "2", I've seen R2.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 Master Cylinder date code???
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:07:28 PM »
The date in your picture is at the bottom where the cap lock engages with the main body

In your case it appears to read 154.

Using the Julian (you can find a chart for non-leap year date decoding in the Date Code article in the Library) it indicates that the 154th day was June 3rd if that was a non-leap year  If it was then the date would be June 4th

cane you check to see if the fitting openings have the seat or not. Guessing that they might not be there indicating the year that the master cylinder was made and in turn helping you determine if it would be correct for your car
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:09:36 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »
Well, if this is June 66, it's too late for my car since my car has a build date of February 10th. Also, since this is using the Julian system, how do we know what the year is when looking at master cylinders, is there another number I can see to tell. Obviously I'm in search of one and want to know at a glance if it would work for my car...

Anyway, here are more pictures of the item in question that the seller sent me, hope this answers your question about the inlet Jeff.

Thanks as always,

Jason
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:52:05 PM by Morsel »
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline evantugby

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 07:20:14 PM »
Well, if this is June 66, it's too late for my car since my car has a build date of February 10th. Also, since this is using the Julian system, how do we know what the year is when looking at master cylinders, is there another number I can see to tell. Obviously I'm in search of one and want to know at a glance if it would work for my car...

Anyway, here are more pictures of the item in question that the seller sent me, hope this answers your question about the inlet Jeff.

Thanks as always,

Jason

This master cylinder looks just like the one I have with a "200" date code which equates to 19 July.  My kar was built Oct 23 1965 so the master cylinder you are thinking about buying might be from 1965.  The stamped number also is the same, except I have an "R5" at the end, which perhaps someone can shed a light on.

You can also see the ink mark of 1065.  Not to hijack your thread but since we're on the subject of master cylinders, hoping someone can confirm if master cylinder's were ink marked with a number on the bottomside.  What color would it have been?
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 08:12:26 PM »

I think I posted in the other thread a picture of the attachment hole for the master cylinders that did not need the adapter. Yours looks like the earlier version that needed the adapter so that would suggest IMHO that the it was June 1964  and likely too early for your application for the date and because the need for the adapter

Later non-adapter master cylinder. Can you see the difference?

See the raised seat for the end of the brake line?

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »
I think I posted in the other thread a picture of the attachment hole for the master cylinders that did not need the adapter. Yours looks like the earlier version that needed the adapter so that would suggest IMHO that the it was June 1964  and likely too early for your application for the date and because the need for the adapter

Later non-adapter master cylinder. Can you see the difference?

See the raised seat for the end of the brake line?

Yes, this makes perfect sense and explains a lot. I also saw on the other thread that some actually had a different date code setup instead of the Julian, a 66 master cylinder with 4-6 that you posted... well at least I know what to look for now, helps out a lot...

Well let the search continue then:)

Thanks as always Jeff.

Jason