Author Topic: leaf springs and shackles  (Read 2524 times)

Offline evantugby

leaf springs and shackles
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »
Gents
Thanks to member's directions here I was able to follow guidance to restore my leaf springs. I blasted them, pressed in new bushings and used Eastwood zinc phosphate for paint. Some pics attached. I'm ready to do the shackles now and wanted to check what color they should be for my kar. Please advise color and method to achieve it. 

Thank you.
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: leaf springs and shackles
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »
shackles are bare steel. use boeshield to protect. i would not blast them, it would change the tone of the metal. btw what finish is on the centering bolts of the springs?? they should not be painted same as the springs.
5F09C331248

Offline evantugby

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
Hi carlite65,
Oops, I already blasted my shackles. So should I paint them now to replicate bare metal color? If so, what brand/color? 

Also, the leaf spring bolts were painted the same. Guess I can pull those out, clean them off and return them to their natural finish. Good catch!

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 01:08:10 PM »
Hi carlite65,
Oops, I already blasted my shackles. So should I paint them now to replicate bare metal color? If so, what brand/color? 

Also, the leaf spring bolts were painted the same. Guess I can pull those out, clean them off and return them to their natural finish. Good catch!
Your ok with painting in this specific instance because your parts are so pitted they will not look good bare metal. I would use some filler primer on them first to try and make the pits disappear. Eastwood sells a Detail Gray that some use. I typically go to the autoparts store and get a can of stainless steel wheel paint because finish is supposed to be bare steel . The centering bolt in the springs are a not spring steel like the leafs and so are not the same color. The centering bolt is a lighter bare steel (like shackles) color in contrast to the darker spring steel color of the leafs. Remember to go over these painted parts with the boeshield especially the leaf springs. The leafs will move back and forth flexing during use rubbing against each other and through the paint . If left untreated those spots will start to rust the first time they are exposed to moisture whether as rain or humidity in the air. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »
Your ok with painting in this specific instance because your parts are so pitted they will not look good bare metal. I would use some filler primer on them first to try and make the pits disappear. Eastwood sells a Detail Gray that some use. I typically go to the autoparts store and get a can of stainless steel wheel paint because finish is supposed to be bare steel . The centering bolt in the springs are a not spring steel like the leafs and so are not the same color. The centering bolt is a lighter bare steel (like shackles) color in contrast to the darker spring steel color of the leafs. Remember to go over these painted parts with the boeshield especially the leaf springs. The leafs will move back and forth flexing during use rubbing against each other and through the paint . If left untreated those spots will start to rust the first time they are exposed to moisture whether as rain or humidity in the air.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your reply. I do have a can of Eastwood detail gray. I'll hit my shackles with a primer first. I'll also fix the leaf spring bolt to make sure that is correct. 
Question 1: is boeshield a micro oil and essential the same as the product I'm using (pictured) called fluid film?

Question 2: do I spray this micro oil over my painted leaf springs?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 01:52:55 PM »
Hi Bob,
Thanks for your reply. I do have a can of Eastwood detail gray. I'll hit my shackles with a primer first. I'll also fix the leaf spring bolt to make sure that is correct. 
Question 1: is boeshield a micro oil and essential the same as the product I'm using (pictured) called fluid film?

Question 2: do I spray this micro oil over my painted leaf springs?
I know the T9 Boeshield works well out of many that I have tried. I have not used that product you picture and so I have no idea how well it works .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »
I know the T9 Boeshield works well out of many that I have tried. I have not used that product you picture and so I have no idea how well it works .

But it's essentially the same thing, correct? 

Also, refering to my question above, do you want me to spray boeshield over my painted leaf springs? 

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 01:56:37 PM »
yes. spray them thoroughly. the fluid film is ok but i prefer the boeshield. seems to last longer & not as oily.....just my opinion.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 01:58:04 PM »
But it's essentially the same thing, correct? 

Also, refering to my question above, do you want me to spray boeshield over my painted leaf springs?
Since I have not used it I will not comment on it. Yes you are coating the painted parts with the T9 Boeshield  (typically just referred to as Boeshield) for reasons explained in the previous post. 

Offline evantugby

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 02:15:19 PM »
Ok, will do! Thank you. And I'll order so boeshield.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
i get my boeshield at a local woodworking supply.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »
i get my boeshield at a local woodworking supply.
It is cheapest on line however in a pinch for me at least a lot of bike stores sell it .

Offline rrenz

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 07:21:22 PM »
Bass pro carries it as well in the gun section.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline evantugby

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »
Thanks Gents.  I just ordered from amazon. 

Offline bburns31

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2023, 03:29:21 PM »
I've now cleaned mine with evaporust. What's recommended at this point since they are in good condition? Scotchbrite or wire wheel and then clear?
66 Mustang Dearborn C Code Sauterne Gold Metallic