Author Topic: '66 Medium Silver Metallic Paint  (Read 1246 times)

Offline sheza65

'66 Medium Silver Metallic Paint
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:02:04 PM »
I have been unsuccessful in finding the paint mix code for 1966 Medium Silver Metallic exterior paint. Does anyone know the PPG paint code for this color?

Offline jwc66k

Re: '66 Medium Silver Metallic Paint
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:38:44 PM »
The silver color caught my eye, so I looked. There is no factory "Medium Silver" listed for 66 Mustangs. There's "Silver Blue" - code Y; and "Silver Frost" - code 4.
Check the door data plate if you are trying to match a paint code. To be realistic, I, and one of the previous owners of my 66 Fastback, have had trouble matching the current Silver Blue on the car with paint chips for touch up paint. My choice is to repaint the whole car.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sheza65

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 02:13:33 PM »
Thanks for your input Jim. I'm aware of Silver Frost, Silver Blue, etc. Medium Silver Metallic was offered later in the '66 model year, but it is not listed as an exterior color on any paint sheets I've seen. From the book "Mustang 1964 1/2-1968" By Tom Corcoran (and other sources) Medium Silver Metallic is a special order color & had a blank warranty plate paint code.

This car is a May 1966 special ordered Mustang (six digit DSO) with a blank paint code which is supposed to be Medium Silver Metallic. If anyone can point me to the correct paint mix code I'd appreciate it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 02:23:01 PM »
Thanks for your input Jim. I'm aware of Silver Frost, Silver Blue, etc. Medium Silver Metallic was offered later in the '66 model year, but it is not listed as an exterior color on any paint sheets I've seen. From the book "Mustang 1964 1/2-1968" By Tom Corcoran (and other sources) Medium Silver Metallic is a special order color & had a blank warranty plate paint code.

This car is a May 1966 special ordered Mustang (six digit DSO) with a blank paint code which is supposed to be Medium Silver Metallic. If anyone can point me to the correct paint mix code I'd appreciate it.

Those same pages or rewrites of the same info is in the Library

You statement appears to be in conflict. On one hand you write that you believe that Medium Silver Metallic was offered late int he year but you also write it was a special order.  Your reported 6 digit DSO seems to support the special order part of the statement not the first part

Special order colors have been discussed here a number of times.  If the salesman could he would steer the customer towards a color being used on a different car line, if not the color was chosen from 0the color chips in the Fleet color book. All those colors were identified by a code not a name and the number corresponded to the back side of that chip and used on the formed that was filled out for the  special paint.  Very late in the year "new" colors for the up coming year were slipped into production or made available also through the process

Any color other than the RPOs would have been a special order so the color you mention was not in itself a "special order color". If you believe it was a color from another line (only reason it would have a name associated with it then you need to find what line it is. Lacking that you need to find a sample of that color and compare it to the chips from a 66 Fleet color chip book to find a match. Even then the color codes and numbers will not be very useful 50 years later from past experience.  I've owned a number of special order paint cars 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:29:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »
Guess one place to start with is where did you get the name for the color?  Is it written on the sales agreement? 

For the code do you have a copy of the buildsheet or a buck tag on the car?  (asking about the buck tag since you didn't include where your car was built.

If you haven't seen the other threads you might find this one and some of the links useful though some of the members pictures no longer can be seen  :(

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2272.0
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 02:55:03 PM »
Also worth pointing out that even if a paint code/formula is found, modern paint/tinting may not yield an exact match.  The best option is to find some undisturbed original areas on the car and have it color-matched.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sheza65

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 04:49:09 AM »
As a follow-up, Tom Corcoran's book I referenced is wrong and listed the special ordered color as "Medium Silver Metallic" (which is actually Silver Frost/Sheffield Silver color code 4, see attached), but it should have been written as Medium Silver Mink Metallic (Silver Mink/Madison Gray). There lies the confusion.

It seems this paint is Medium Silver Mink Metallic (AE60-1446, i.e. Thunderbird Silver Mink/Lincoln Madison Gray) and not the Medium Silver Metallic (AE60-1901, i.e. Ford Silver Frost/Mercury Sheffield Silver) since it appears a bit darker than Silver Frost. The Ditzler/ PPG paint code is 12751 for 1966 Silver Mink (aka Medium Silver Mink Metallic).

https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=Silver%20Mink&tditzler=12751&rows=150

Researching this color I found midwestern Ford dealers had one millionth Mustangs special ordered in Thunderbird's Silver Mink (aka Medium Silver Mink Metallic) (Reference: https://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcarm.cgi?type=lot&pic=/1966/1966_00058_02). My car is a Dearborn built, Chicago DSO, C code, C4, standard red interior & black convertible top. I wonder if it was one of these "limited edition" cars?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 10:50:00 PM »
sheza65nott sure with the printed list (item number three in the pictures you posted) came from but that is not a list of all the special order colors available in 66.  Plus there would be no list since Ford didn't keep that info

The sale may be a local special the dealership or region put together

There was also the Golden Anniversary Sale promotion the same year identified by the regional District numbers (2 digits) followed by the numbers 1111 as discussed in other threads . Cars were done in a Special order gold color for that one

What is the DSO on the car your writing about?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 11:00:49 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline sheza65

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 03:48:32 PM »
Jeff,
I didn't state nor imply the excerpt from "Mustang 1964 1/2-1968" By Tom Corcoran was all-inclusive for special ordered colors (third photo attached), but it definitely has a typo as mentioned above.

The DSO is 413322. It is certainly not a Golden Anniversary car, but could have been a local promotion or simply ordered that way by the original owner.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 04:51:31 PM »
Jeff,
I didn't state nor imply the excerpt from "Mustang 1964 1/2-1968" By Tom Corcoran was all-inclusive for special ordered colors (third photo attached), but it definitely has a typo as mentioned above.

Yes looks like Tom could have worded the statement better

The DSO is 413322. It is certainly not a Golden Anniversary car, but could have been a local promotion or simply ordered that way by the original owner.

Given the ads you posted the promotion looks to be at least regional in size. Need to find another, if they are out there, with the same DSO or with at least the same last four digits to figure out if part of the same promotion or an individual. Matching projected build dates on the door tags would help also
Jeff Speegle