Author Topic: J-Code Motor  (Read 4716 times)

Offline DTruitt

J-Code Motor
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:59:19 PM »
Here are a few pictures of a '68 J-code motor I recently rebuilt (with a friends help) and detailed.  I believe it to be concours correct however, we can discuss any thing that people think otherwise.

Picture as removed from car:

Another as removed from car:

Here is one as it is installed in my cousin's '68 GT.  Although I detailed the engine to concours the car is not currently to those standards and probably won't ever so don't pick on the surrounding engine compartment and such.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:46:52 PM by DTruitt »
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline DTruitt

Re: J-Code Motor
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »
Oops, I messed something up.  I'll try to resize later.

Danny
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline cmayna

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:59:15 AM »
Danny, though I am NOT a concours minded sole, it looks like you did a great job on that Jcode.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 02:45:19 PM »
Here are a few pictures of a '68 J-code motor I recently rebuilt (with a friends help) and detailed.  I believe it to be concours correct however, we can discuss any thing that people think otherwise.

Hope you changed out that late model water pump! Also, the vaccum advance on the distributor is aftermarket.

Engine color looks very nice. As a "next level" consideration, not all of the valve cover bolts get painted. Typically only the top outside 2 per side were installed when the motor was painted. Of course this varied from engine plant to engine plant.

Regards,
Pete

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:35:19 PM »
Pete,
The water pump on the rebuilt motor is the correct casting # pump, unless there are later and earlier versions with the same casting number.

I could not find anything to indicate only certain valve cover bolts were painted.  I will say some did not have paint on them while others did.  All the original wiring and vacuum clamps on the valve covers had evidence of paint.  So I deducted that all the valve cover bolts were installed when the motor was painted, although because of the plating on the bolts paint adhered to some better than others.  I understand some believe only a portion of bolts were on the motor when painted, but I could not find any factory documentation to support that.  What evidence or documentation do you have that indicates differently (trying to learn/ confirm)? 

On some of the "new" valve cover bolts with fresh paint, the paint did not adhere and has flaked off a couple of the bolts.

You are absolutely correct about the vacuum advance!

Thanks for the comments.
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 10:37:53 AM »
My error on the water pump; it appeared as the late model replacement at a quick glance. Re-looking, I see the support ribs signifiying a C6xx or C8xx engineering number type.

As for the some of the valve cover bolts not being painted, my documentation is my experience with 67-68s, discussions with Kevin Marti (he has a few original engine assembly pictures), and of course, discussions with the ever popular Jeff Speegle.

Regards,
Pete