Author Topic: Identifying original 68 idler arm?  (Read 11034 times)

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: Identifying original 68 idler arm?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »
Keep in mind that the red dye was applied on top of the fastener original finish. Thus, red dye on a phosphate/oil nut/bolt will look very dark whereas red dye on a zinc or cadmium nut/bolt will look very light to an almost pinkish color.

John is correct that the dye does not come off that easily. The best example of this is the small wire retainer clips that are used to hold the e-brake housing to the underside (2 at the back, 1 at the front). Whenever I pull an original set off and clean them, I can always find the original red dye.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 11:44:53 PM »
........ I think the new red dye is reformulated because of that whole red dye issue in the late 70's. They said the old red caused cancer and there was even talk at the time that you wouldn't be able to get red dye.

Believe that was the food additive red dye not the industrial (non food) dyes.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 12:28:10 AM »
GTAMustang I am confused about the wire clips you referred to. Are these the hairpin looking clips which hold the e-brake cable to the three mounting points under the car. As you mentioned 2 in the rear and one up front. I am pretty sure I know what you are referring to. You say they are red? I just saw a 69 Shelby on a lift this past weekend and noted that these were zinc dichromate (gold). Did Ford switch from red dye to ZD between 67 and 69? Was this a plant to plant difference? Not sure but weren't all 69 Shelbys built in Dearborn? Actually this may have been a 69 left over and actually was registered as a 70. Color was Grabber Green so I'm not sure if that was available in 69.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 10:53:49 AM »
I cannot tell you anything of technical value about Mustangs beyond the 1968 model year. However, I can tell you that for part of 67 model year and all of 68 model year, the "hairpin" e-brake cable housing retainer clips were coated with red dye.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 02:17:37 PM »
Pete, your confirmation is help enough. I'm working on a 68 and was prepared to send these out to have Plated. I have the red dye so I can do them at home. Thanks.