Author Topic: 68 Steering gearbox question  (Read 1593 times)

Offline 68 S Code

68 Steering gearbox question
« on: October 17, 2010, 10:55:50 PM »
Trying to stay away from causing myself some problems as my gearbox seems to have worked just fine. However I wanted to refinish a couple of parts without having to go thru a complete rebuild.
So, wondering if someone here can tell me if i will be facing a rebuild if I take the bushing (that big nut with a bearing/bushing below it) off the steering column shaft. Same with the big silver washer. These would be found just below the coupling used to mount the steering colum. Will I then have to go thru resetting pre-loads and the rest. The service manual doesn't seem to be very clear on this.

Offline 68 S Code

Re: Steering gearbox question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:28:46 PM »
Well cleaned off the dirt and grime with simply green and water. Actually it came out looking pretty good but was rusty on back side and at lower shaft. Decided to try evaporust on it. We'll see how it turns out. A couple of details revealed. Blue paint mark on side against frame but above the mounting point. So could be visible if you look hard. This is a smb-k gearbox. Also the nut which holds the pitman arm is not the pinkish red color but brown. Almost like a dark red oxide primer look. Anyone else ever see the brown nut and blue paint splotch?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Steering gearbox question
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »
Not sure if I've seen a brownish nut color but a blue on that steering box is pretty typical. Some others can be found with two different (different tones) blue markings. Would you describe the color that you found as a medium (sort of Ford engine blue) tone of blue?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

Re: 68 Steering gearbox question
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:34:15 AM »
Jeff, yes it reminded me of the lighter ford blue engine color. I would have to look at it once it dries out from the evaporust bath but the mark higher up looked darker. I'll check tomorrow and let you know. i wish i knew how to post pics so I could share.

By the way I looked at my steering valve assembly and found a white paint mark with a long run just behind the stud (towards the valve assembly). Also the end which screws onto the center link looks to be dipped black but the collar with the bolt is painted half black. At first I thought it may have been accidentally sprayed by a past owner but I removed the collar and found black under it so it looks to have been dipped just short of the ball stud. There is also a small spot of black at the port for lubing below. Does this sound right?