Author Topic: More Slop Gray  (Read 3224 times)

Offline nham3407

More Slop Gray
« on: November 01, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
Jeff,

Not to rob Chuck's question.  I noticed this sentence in a 69-70 post you did back in June 2009.

Slop gray = a combination of left over paint and a base. Typically took on a look of a medium to dark gray with a slight green or blue tint. Glossy in finish typically.

I believe my car was a factory undercoat car out of Dearborn with a 12/27/71 production date.  I have begun scraping in the transmission tunnel to see if I can get to a base color before undercoating. This is not as easy task, even with Eastwood Undercoating remover.  It appears as though there may be a slight greenish tint to what appears to be black under my car.  Is there any recommendation of a formulation to replicate this.  My car goes to bead blast in a couple of weeks and I am trying to get as much information off the car before it is lost.

As always, thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge and experience.

67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: More Slop Gray
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »
Here's what I know from reading about this "slop gray" on the Internet.  It changed (subtly) day to day, based upon what was left over.  Your best bet is to take a sample from your car to your paint shop and have them shoot it. 

There is no one correct formula for this paint color.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline e093116

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:45:37 PM »
PPG DPLF epoxy primer is available in 6 colors that can be mixed together (gray, gray-green, red, blue, white, black).

You could experiment with mixing black, blue, and the gray-green to get the shade you want.  If you are happy with the color, you can spray a wet final coat to give the DP some extra gloss if you are planning to stop there.

If not happy with the color, you at least have a primer color that is close to a better color matched topcoat (which will make chips in a topcoat less noticeable).  You can try again to get a better color match with the topcoat. 

If you are happy with the color match of the primer, then you can bring a sample of that color to your local paint jobber and get it matched in a compatible topcoat.  Pay attention to the recoat window so you don't have to sand/scuff the DPLF primer.

I topcoated my red-oxide DPLF primed undercarriage with a matching red-oxide color in PPG DCC product line.  While this cost me more $$$ in product, I like the fact that the end result is easier to clean and can be "finessed" in comparison to a primer only finish.
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 01:06:17 AM »
Here's what I know from reading about this "slop gray" on the Internet.  It changed (subtly) day to day, based upon what was left over.  Your best bet is to take a sample from your car to your paint shop and have them shoot it. 

There is no one correct formula for this paint color.
+1 . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:44:18 AM »
Just as a small point but we often refer to the combination of left over paint and primers used for the floor pans as "batch" paint and the combination of colors used to coat individual parts as slop

Sort of the idea of using different terms for sound deadener and under coating ;)

As for "There is no one correct formula for this paint color."

But there is - there is one correct formula for your car. Hopefully each of us has some still remaining so we can tell what it was :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »

As for "There is no one correct formula for this paint color."

But there is - there is one correct formula for your car. Hopefully each of us has some still remaining so we can tell what it was :)

Touche!  I bow to the Master.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com