Author Topic: Speedo cable help  (Read 2282 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Speedo cable help
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:15:04 PM »
The original speedo cable plastic covering was melted by the h pipe. Didn't effect it's operation as cable still spins. I have another cable but it's missing the center spiral cable.  Is there a way to remove the cable and gear from one unit and transfer it to the other. I heard there is a ring which is preventing me from pulling it out.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Speedo cable help
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
the cable can be removed from the top side behind the inst. cluster. you should not need to remove the gear from the trans end.
5F09C331248

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 10:18:25 AM »
Well since my assembly is already out of the car that's not the issue. From what I see the actual gear is held on via a clip which is removable. However the gear then slips onto a barrel and the barrel then must have the wound wire pass through it into the raised nipple of the gear. So that end will not come apart. I heard that at the speedometer nut there is a retaining ring which gets crimped(?) which then locks the wire core to the plastic shielding. I guess the ring needs to get removed so I can pull out the core wire and plastic gear. Then the gear and core wire can be reinstalled in the other shielding plastic as an assembly and a new ring crimped on. Does anyone have experience doing this or know someone I can send this to?

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:26:08 PM »
talk

Talked w/ a guy at the local tranny shop. He said if I can get the gear off (possibly cutting it off) I should then be able to pull the spiral cable out the end where it connects to speedometer out of the casing. Anyone ever do this. It seems that the cable and the gear are frozen together so cutting the origin gear may be the only option.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:29:16 PM »
Ok well back to the speedo cable project. Managed to get the spiral cable out of the melted casing and ready to install in the good casing. I thought I remember someone mentioning that you need to lubricate the spiral wire with a mixture of lithium grease and trans fluid. Can anyone give some direction on this.

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 07:52:41 AM »
Hmmmm I've never heard that and it doesn't sound right. I've always used graphite

Offline Bill Cabaniss

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
+ 1 on the graphite. I tried lithium grease years back and it actually caused my speedo needle to jump at speed from the friction of the thick grease. After a proper cleaning the graphite lubricant worked great. You should be able to find graphite at any parts store.
Highland green 68 GT fastback/concours driven since 2000. 8f02j - 1-23-68
raven black 66 coupe/concours driven since 1991.6f07c- 5-14-66
rangoon red 65 Mustang JR. go-cart serial#02. not driven much.
Still drive them to the nationals/they do clean up! 
Gold card judge for 67-68 concours class.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
Thanks for responding. Just a light coating I presume. I also need to get a 20 tooth gear,  black. Had to cut the old one off. Anyone know where I could find an original?