Author Topic: 1966 Right-Hand Drive Cars  (Read 9667 times)

Offline Pete Bush

1966 Right-Hand Drive Cars
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:42:46 AM »
Is there any evidence to suggest that Ford built any '66 export Mustangs with right-hand drive? Or that they would have prepared a right-hand drive vehicle differently, for conversion in the destination country?
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 Right-Hand Drive Cars
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »
Is there any evidence to suggest that Ford built any '66 export Mustangs with right-hand drive? Or that they would have prepared a right-hand drive vehicle differently, for conversion in the destination country?

No evidence - that I've ever heard of. Typically (if required by law) care were altered in those specific country. Not too many required right hand drive only in the 60's
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 07:21:12 PM »
Jeff,

I have reason to believe that the '66 export build sheet you sent might have a code for a right-hand drive. I'm talking about the one with the note on the bottom about a 22:1 Steering Ratio - Part C4ZR-3504-E.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:22:56 PM »
Jeff,

I have reason to believe that the '66 export build sheet you sent might have a code for a right-hand drive. I'm talking about the one with the note on the bottom about a 22:1 Steering Ratio - Part C4ZR-3504-E.

What brings you to believe that the car described in that buildsheet was a right hand drive car?
Jeff Speegle

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »
The 4th box from the right on the bottom line is titled:
RT DRIVE - LS LAMPS - OMIT SL. BEAMS - TROP BATT

I believe that RT DRIVE stands for right-hand drive. There is a code in this box of 5. Most build sheets have no code in this category; including two other export cars I have on file. The code might designate one of the other category headings, but it's unlikely that it's the Tropical Battery. Then there's the special note on the bottom.

The remark on the bottom specifies a standard steering ratio, when all other build sheets don't bother to specify this baseline equipment. I'm not sure about the part number as I haven't been able to track it down yet. Why specify a baseline steering ratio unless there's something else that's unusual about it?

Front and rear springs, and shock codes are unlike any I've seen on other '66 cars.

There are six other Metuchen cars in Smart's Mustang Production Guide with the same DSO of 950284; all of them with owners in Sweden. All are A-codes. 3 are fastbacks and 3 are coupes. All were built on October 8th.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 03:03:04 AM »
........There are six other Metuchen cars in Smart's Mustang Production Guide with the same DSO of 950284; all of them with owners in Sweden. All are A-codes. 3 are fastbacks and 3 are coupes. All were built on October 8th.

Well we know that if various cars were ordered under the same DSO they should all have originally gone to the same area and likely all order by the same dealer. In that case a right hand drive car would not have been legal for that country

Can agree for sure that the box (if marked correctly would have been for right hand drive - remember these sheets were used for allot of different car models - not just for Mustang. Think is a long stretch with a number in a box and at least four different possibilities. Given it was likely ordered for Sweden I think is highly more likely that the 5 represents a change in the lights since that is something we see often (as a higher requirement) on European delivered Mustangs

The omit seal beams is odd as I'm not sure where (country) or why seamed beam headlights (if that is what ST beams is referring to) would be illegal in any specific country in 66 unless these same buildsheets were also made for use in other countries were Fords were built that year - a possibility IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 08:09:26 AM »
 “Well we know that if various cars were ordered under the same DSO they should all have originally gone to the same area and likely all order by the same dealer.”

If we look at the VIN’s in question here, we start with one ending in 318 and conclude with one ending with 491; so a potential of about 173 cars in the order.

“In that case a right hand drive car would not have been legal for that country.”

Sweden had legal left-hand traffic (USA has right-hand traffic) from approximately 1734, well into the 20th century, despite the fact that virtually all the cars on the road in Sweden were LHD. (One argument for this was that it was necessary to keep an eye on the edge of the road, something that was important on the narrow roads in use at the time). Also, Sweden's neighbors Norway and Finland already drove on the right, leading to confusion at border crossings. This not withstanding a right-hand drive car was not “illegal”, and in some cases might have been “more natural” in a left-hand traffic environment like Britain’s.

In 1963 the Swedish parliament passed legislation ordering the switch to right-hand traffic. The changeover took place at 5am on Sunday, 3 September 1967, well after the 1966 Mustang model year.

“Can agree for sure that the box (if marked correctly would have been for right hand drive - remember these sheets were used for allot of different car models - not just for Mustang.”

Some Ford vehicles were known to have been assembled as right-hand drives; the Cortina for one. It may be possible that the build sheet was composed to be utilized in those instances as well.

“Think is a long stretch with a number in a box and at least four different possibilities. Given it was likely ordered for Sweden I think is highly more likely that the 5 represents a change in the lights since that is something we see often (as a higher requirement) on European delivered Mustangs

The omit seal beams is odd as I'm not sure where (country) or why seamed beam headlights (if that is what ST beams is referring to) would be illegal in any specific country in 66 unless these same build sheets were also made for use in other countries were Fords were built that year - a possibility IMHO.”

Your statement here prompted me to do a little more research. Most low-beam headlamps produce an asymmetrical beam focused for use on only one side of the road. Headlamps for use in LH-traffic countries have low-beam headlamps that throw most of their light forward-leftward, while limiting the light range forward-rightward; the beam is distributed with a downward/leftward bias. Headlamps for RH-traffic countries have low-beam headlamps that throw most of their light forward-rightward, while limiting the light range forward-leftward; the beam is distributed with a downward/rightward bias. The beam thus lets the driver see obstacles and road signs on his own side of the road at a safe distance, without blinding oncoming traffic. The LS LAMP in this build sheet category might refer to the readjustment of the headlight beams to the left side. This would have been necessary for Sweden’s left-hand traffic pattern at the time that the Mustangs were delivered. When the traffic pattern in Sweden changed in 1967 to duplicate that of the USA’s, it likely meant that Swedish headlights had to be re-adjusted.

So, the 5 code we see in this box might certainly mean that the headlights were adjusted for a left-hand traffic pattern. Still, it’s curious that there’s a special notation on the bottom for an otherwise basic 22:1 steering box. And there are some strange codes for the springs and shocks on this particular export as well….

Offline Herman

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 06:47:28 AM »
Jeff & Pete

There was approximately 200 cars that were sent to Australia, converted to RHD and sold in 1965/6.  As to specfic codes unfortunately I don't know of any.  It is my understanding the conversation of these weren't the best.

regards
Herman
Washing, polishing and cleaning stuff some more in an attempt to retain that 'Golden nugget'

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 07:17:15 AM »
Herman,

Information is a little sketchy on whether the Homebush plant performed the conversions, or an outside subcontractor. Also, whether Metuchen shipped the cars intact, or as "knock-down" units. Can you add to this?

Offline Herman

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 05:42:35 AM »
Pete

From what I heard they were converted in Homebush NSW and the conversion weren't the greatest.  However I will talk with a few of our club older members and see what I can dig up for you.

Herman
Washing, polishing and cleaning stuff some more in an attempt to retain that 'Golden nugget'

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 06:28:08 AM »
Thanks, Herman. I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

Pete

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »
I have since abandoned the idea of a right-hand drive build sheet, but here's a link with some info on right-hand converted cars in Australia. Apparently there were (48) 1965 and (161) 1966 Mustangs converted by Ford of Australia at their Homebush facility. No information currently exists as to how these were prepared in the States. It would be interesting to see one of these build sheets - if it survives...

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~mexmust/findings.htm

[bottom of page]

Offline Herman

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 01:18:40 AM »
Hi Pete

I have been trying to obtain additional information regarding these vehicles. 

From what I have learned there was a special plate that was fitted to the vehicle after they had been converted which I am trying to find further information.  However the were vehicles imported by the US Corp that remained Left Hand Drive as to the number I am uncertain.

Herman

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 07:02:34 AM »
Thanks, Herman.

Please keep me posted of your progress. Pictures would be great!

Pete

Offline T5owner

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 02:04:59 AM »
This may help as another starting point for further research?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aussiefordadverts/4956769362/

Unfortunately I have only a 69er Ford Australia VIN tag on file and a 71 as mentioned on Dave Hammars website already. But I'll go back and check what the second owner of the 71 found about those early RHD conversions:
Geoff found 4 early RHD cars and 2 70ies RHD converted by Ford AUS.

I invited him to join this thread.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:57:57 PM by T5owner »