Author Topic: 1966 Right-Hand Drive Cars  (Read 9668 times)

Offline fast66

Re: 1966 Right-Hand Drive Cars
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 08:19:58 AM »
Hello, I own one of the cars in the registry and I have also seen lots of other cars with the same DSO here in Sweden.
I  and a friend in the Classic Mustang Club, Sweden, has collected data of these cars for years.
We have info on cars from s/n 124312 to 12455x. from -312 to 380 or so there are only V8 Fastbacks all equipped the same. Thereafter we have V8 coupes and I have only seen one with automatic all others are 4 -speed.
124500 is a convertible - the only one in the batch (so far) and from 501 an onwards we have coupes with 6-cylinder engines.

Regarding the information on the build sheet about the steering box. The Mustangs ordered by Ford in Sweden were equipped in a certain way. All V8 cars had the quicker steering ratio. They also had stiffer suspension and shocks and also disc brakes. Furthermore they all had the export brace (also the six cylinder cars).
There were some changes due to our asymmetrical lights and the hazard lamps were disconnected.

I might add that I have never seen a right hand drive Mustang in Sweden so far, and the only other right hand drive cars I have ever seen were changed so that people with some disability still could drive (or were British imports).

br
Claes Wallin
Fastback 2+2
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 09:46:28 AM »
Claes,

I've continued researching some of the info regarding this build sheet, and your data may help.

I've been perplexed by the notation on the bottom regarding the 22:1 steering ratio. Most sales literature by Ford and some early reviews (William Stone's for one), describe steering ratios of 27:1 for regular manual steering boxes and 22:1 for the quicker special handling package steering and cars equipped with power steering. However, the Ford shop manual and confirmations by the judges here indicate that the actual steering ratios were 19.9:1 and 16:1, respectively. If the build sheet specified a 22:1 steering box, then it was a slower, 5-turn lock to lock. The Falcons and Fairlanes appear to have used a 22:1 manual steering ratio. The part number of C4ZR-3504E might specify one of these units. I'm not sure why Sweden would have specified this modification.

Your comment regarding the stiffer suspension and shocks may be substantiated by the build sheet I have, as the codes found there are a little different than other Mustangs. And the build sheet I have does specify disc brakes.

I believe that the code 5 I found under the L.S. Lamps box, does indeed refer to the modification of the headlights for left-side driving. There's also a code 2 in the Battery box that I'm unfamiliar with.

If you don't already have a copy of this build sheet, please send me a PM and I'll email you a copy. It might aid your club's efforts.

I'd be interested, too, in hearing more about how the cars were specified  for Sweden. Does the 02  84 DSO have a special meaning? Did any of the 6-cylinder car come equipped with the Sprint option group? Etc.

Pete
petebush@comcast.net
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline fast66

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »
Pete,
lets help each other to spread some light on these codes...

I just checked my copy of the AMA specifications for Passenger cars released by Ford and they mention the following figures for the manual gear ratio: "gear" - 19.88 and "overall" - 27.0., no of wheel turns: 4.64  For power steering it says "Gear" - 16.0 and "overall" - 21.7, no of wheel turns: 3.73.
That may be the reason both  these figures are mentioned when we talk about the steering box ratios .

br
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 05:33:47 PM »
Claes,

Your assistance is welcomed and appreciated!

Your excerpt from the AMA Passenger guide may indeed explain how a 19.9:1 gear box can also be referred to as a 27:1 overall steering ratio; same goes for the quicker 16:1 gear box.

The exact quote on the bottom of the build sheet I keep referring to is:
22:1 Steering Ratio - Part C4ZR-3504-E

It’s unclear from this information alone whether the instruction is meant to refer to the ratio of the steering box or the overall ratio.

If this is reference to the actual gear box ratio, then it’s entirely different, and slower, than the standard Mustang gear boxes of 19.9:1 and 16:1, but the instruction almost reads as if it’s calling out a specific part and not an overall condition.

If it’s in reference to the overall ratio of 22:1 then it’s the same as that used on Special Handling Package (SHP) equipped cars. However, other build sheets I have on file with the SHP do not call out a special notation for the steering. The coding of this feature is typically established in the shocks and springs categories.

Do the steering boxes you have access to in Sweden have a tag attached to them that might further identify them?

Pete

Offline fast66

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 06:15:22 PM »
Hi, the steering boxes on the Mustangs sold new here in Sweden has the correct code tag for the 22:1 ratio. I think it is specified on the build sheet because the cars did NOT have a complete Special Handling Package. They did not have the thicker sway bar but HD shocks and possibly stiffer suspension.
br
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 07:35:26 AM »
Claes,

Thanks again in your help with all this code stuff.

The build sheet I have indicates that this car is a manual steering car. If it has the quicker ratio steering, the tag should be HCC-AX. The 3504 in the part number I cite above indicates a Gear Assy. – Steering as described by the 1965 – 72 MPC. However the part number does not coincide with those in the MPC. I do not have a copy of the single-year 1966 MPC to determine the part number used there. The decoder at: http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringboxtagdecoder.html indicates that “most” have a casting number of C4DR-A or C6ZR-A, but as we know, there were always exceptions at Ford. My experience with the build sheets I have in my possession is that if there was no note to the contrary, then standard parts were used. Seeing as we have a note at the bottom for a particular steering box, I would take this to mean it was different from other similarly equipped cars. The reason could be as simple as they were out of the standard-issue parts. It might also mean that the car was uniquely equipped, because it was ordered that way.

The codes for the Springs and Shocks are also different from others. The spring codes of [6] (front) and [8] (rear), are the only instance of these codes in my collection. Most build sheets I have with the SHP have a [W] for the front spring code; which I believe indicates part C5ZZ-5310-F     RED 1413 lbs. The few build sheets I have for fastbacks with the SHP indicate rear springs with code [Z] which I’m taking to mean C5ZZ-5560-E   K,L,S,Y         F/B & Conv. Hi-Po 650 lb.

Standard issue shocks all seem to use a code [F]. SHP cars primarily use code [G]. And I have one instance of a code [4], and the code [9] found on your Swedish car. I’m still in the process of collecting information about the different types of shocks available for 1966 so I can determine specific part numbers and applications.

As long as we’re talking here, there are a couple of other peculiarities. One is the code [2] under the Battery heading. Almost all build sheets I have use code [1] in this heading to indicate the optional 24F battery. I have two instances of a code [2], yours and a Dearborn K-code car destined for Lansing, MI. I have been unable to determine the meaning of this code. Might there be something related to the Headlamp Cov. ?

Offline fast66

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »
Pete, I am sure the special steering gear was ordered as all Swedish 65/66 V8 cars had it. Power steering was not on the standard equipment list in Sweden so all I have seen have had the "AX" gear.
I have talked several times to an old Ford employee who remember that many things on the cars delivered to Sweden was not the standard combo. I.e the "red" springs indicating the SHP springs.
All V8 cars had disc brakes, and were much like GTs, minus the sway bar and the dual exhaust. All had export brace, even six cylinders...
As Ford in Sweden could not meet the demand, some dealers did their own import from different NJ dealers. These cars often miss the export brace but have most of the other equipment, especially the disc brakes.

Regarding the battery code I would assume a 24F battery or similar Swedish version as all cars had the short battery clamp.
br
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 06:36:14 AM »
In the Mustang Production Guide Vol. 1, there are six Swedish cars between #124297 and 124645. You say your research starts with #124312 and ends sometime after 124501 with at least one 6-cylinder car. Looks pretty close to 200 cars in the order. How many 6-cylinder cars are accounted for in your registry? Did the 6-cylinders use the same steering box and suspension upgrades? Did all have the 0284 DSO?

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 09:14:25 AM »
Found this in a Australian Super Car magazine 1984.

Ford Australia imported 48 1965 Mustangs to coincide with the release of the Mustang bred Falcons.
These Mustangs were converted here (Ford Broadmeadows -Aust) at the Ford plant to Right hand drive and subsequently sold.
According to Ford Australia the easiest way of telling if it was an Aussie stang is by checking the I.D. plate inside the right hand door, it should carry the words Ford Australia, also on the kickplate where the Ford logo appears the same wording should also be included, another area is the shocker towers within the engine bay, here an aluminium I.D plate is located with the words Ford Australia.
There is confusion with in Ford -due to no real records being kept-

The magazine editor said that the only identifying tag he could find which tied it to the 48 vehicles released by Ford was the shocker tower I.D. tag, there was none on the kick-plate and the door I.D plate carried the words manufactured by Ford U.S.A, perhaps Ford Australia decided to drop the idea o including their own door and kick-plate tags early in the conversion of stangs and only added the shocker tag.

64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline fast66

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 10:09:57 AM »
Pete, I have six bangers up to 550 something iirc. I have only seen one convertible (#500) and all after #500 are six cyl coupes. 
(I have the book U speak about and I can't understand why I missed those cars in the ends of the series?! gotta look tonite).
 My current car is 124370 and I have also owned -342.

Also, I forgot to say that all V8 cars have console and Rally Pac :-)
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline fast66

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 06:08:11 PM »
Correction - six bangers up to 593...
Also the first you refer to in Jim Smarts book is a Tennessee car and the last is a New York car - so only six cars in the book. I have ca 150 out of 300 possible.
br
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
Wow! 300 possible cars in one order. Have you come across any other build sheets that we can compare?

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 06:59:35 AM »
The magazine editor said that the only identifying tag he could find which tied it to the 48 vehicles released by Ford was the shocker tower I.D. tag, there was none on the kick-plate and the door I.D plate carried the words manufactured by Ford U.S.A, perhaps Ford Australia decided to drop the idea o including their own door and kick-plate tags early in the conversion of stangs and only added the shocker tag.

That's a little different story than what Hammar has on his website http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~mexmust/findings.htm where he says that an Australian plate was affixed to the right-side door sill and the firewall. Do you have a photo of the shock tower tag?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:11:01 AM by Pete Bush »

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 07:14:22 AM »
I may have answered my own question. While I was poking around Hammar's site I came across this photo. Judging by the bolt pattern, it looks like the right-side shock tower area. Registry says this was the conversion of 6T07C165347.

Offline kowalski

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 05:51:47 AM »
That plate is the same used on the Aus Falcons of the same period. After reading this thread, I had a look at the hammar site and the invoices etc. My wife & her family are from Beaufort, and I have a Wotherspoon Ford dealer sticker on my 65 Falcon wagon. I will ask my father-in-law next time I see him if he knows any details of this car. He has definately mentioned a "local" Mustang from back in the day....
Many years ago, when I was looking to buy my 1st Mustang, I drove one of the Aus-Ford imported & converted 66 coupes. An older fella in Camperdown owned it and was very generous to allow a 21 year old stranger access to his car. I seem to remember it driving very nicely, was Springtime Yellow & had the luggage rack on the trunk. This was back in 93 when there were very few Mustangs here. Now, I see one at least once a fortnight (not including my own :) around the streets.