Author Topic: Popularity/Value of '86 GT Convertible  (Read 1972 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Popularity/Value of '86 GT Convertible
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:47:38 PM »
I spoke with the TMI interior rep at the recent show at Silver Springs, Florida, they are makeing all kinds of stuff for the interiors of the Fox-bodies now, they are assisting NPD in launching a 1979-1993 Fox-Body parts catalog of which I have a new copy just released.
The door panels and seat covers I saw were absolutely top notch reproductions!
The rep seemed to think the 4 headlight cars '79-'86 were going to become very popular soon, and felt that the '86 GTs were going to be the best. I am not sure why this is though, may be because '86 was the first year of fuel injection? I know the '86 5.0s were said to have the worst possible heads for performance-(I know though that the '87 GT I had was ALOT slower and less powerful feeling than my Niece's '86 GT, both cars all stock/original with no mods.
The door panels for the fox bodies are pretty expensive right now (about double what '65-'66 PONY panels cost) we were originally thinking about selling my Niece's '86 GT Convertible (she wants to sell it) and I'm wondering if I should buy it and restore/restomod it??

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Popularity/Value of '86 GT Convertible
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:50:54 PM »
UPDATE 11/30/2011: The car is now for sale, just not sure what to ask for it in its present condition.
I really think that Concours Mustang IS NOT the place to get opinions on FOX BODY Mustangs as it seems that there is not very much activity here. Anyway.....IF anyone is interested in a pretty original LOADED '86 GT Convertible with 5 speed please LMK.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:20:53 PM »
Tough market for those cars.  Anything other than a low mileage original is a difficult sale unless you just about give it away.  Maybe they will catch on, but I think Ford kind of did them in with making so many improvements in the subsequent models.  The cost of parts does not seem to be in line with the values either.  How can one afford to install a $300-400 set of door panels on a $5k car?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:55:01 AM »
Tough market for those cars.  Anything other than a low mileage original is a difficult sale unless you just about give it away.  Maybe they will catch on, but I think Ford kind of did them in with making so many improvements in the subsequent models.  The cost of parts does not seem to be in line with the values either.  How can one afford to install a $300-400 set of door panels on a $5k car?

Charles, I agree with you on this. I spoke with a couple of guys at the recent Space Coast Mustang show here in Palm Bay, and they seemed interested in the car for what it was......we didn't talk price however.
I've got to get it running, its been sitting in the garage for about 3 years not run.........