Author Topic: View from inside a door  (Read 2455 times)

Offline 2V8s

View from inside a door
« on: January 25, 2011, 12:31:26 PM »
I took my door cards off the other day as I had noticed the upper inside surfaces were quite rusty (aparently this is common as they were bare metal in these areas?).

I took some photos thought they might be useful - I was impressed what good order the doors were in, particularly along the bottoms.

Im interested to know though in what order paint was applied here to the inside off doors - there is what appears to be possible exterior colour underneath the water shield, but then the water shield is black accross its face. Is it normal for these to be painted like this? (it is unpainted on the inside surface).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:35:45 PM by 2V8s »
1967 Mustang Convertible C code auto - San Jose 30th Jan 1967
1974 Corvette convertible 350 L48 Auto
2004 Mg ZT 260 SE (Ford V8)
1994 Rover 214 Si 16v
2005 Renault Grand Espace 2.2 DCi

Offline 2V8s

Re: View from inside a door
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:34:22 PM »
oh and here's the ones of the water shield which I assume should not have been painted?
1967 Mustang Convertible C code auto - San Jose 30th Jan 1967
1974 Corvette convertible 350 L48 Auto
2004 Mg ZT 260 SE (Ford V8)
1994 Rover 214 Si 16v
2005 Renault Grand Espace 2.2 DCi

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 01:09:50 PM »
Dang!  I wish I could find (2) 66 doors that look that perfect.  That rust on the inside is best described as surface rust.

Now about painting.  My feeling is that any exterior color that found it's way to the inside of the doors was due to overspray by the guy holding the paintgun on the assembly line.
The doors were hanging on the car when painted and the painter had to point the gun so all the right surfaces got paint.  I am sure some of those movements directed the spray where some color could get inside the doors.  Purely accidental I'm sure.

The "PRO'S" on here can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure interior color was sprayed AFTER exterior color and BEFORE the water shields were installed.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »
Actually, that watershield is installed backwards. The black water resistent side should be towards the door internals and the paper side should be against the door panel. And by the looks of it, it may not be original (any water on the paper side will leave a stain).

The long held belief as confirmed by many unrestored Mustangs and by Jeff's ginormous gallery of pictures is that after primer, the interior colr was applied prior to the exterior color. Nothing was assembled on the door during painting; however masks were used between the painting steps (masked exterior doors, etc. during interior paint; masked interior painted sheet metal during exterior paint). It is quite possible that the center of the interior part of the door where the door panel would go was not masked, thus some exterior color showing there.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 04:43:49 PM »
Well there's the facts and now we know.  Thanks.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »

Im interested to know though in what order paint was applied here to the inside off doors - there is what appears to be possible exterior colour underneath the water shield, but then the water shield is black accross its face. Is it normal for these to be painted like this? (it is unpainted on the inside surface).

Unlike the "expensive cars" made by Ford those years the cheaper cars were not dipped in primer but instead sprayed leaving many of the unseen surfaces with no paint or a light coat of overspray - later to be replaced by surface rust or worst.

As Pete mention they were mounted to the unibody, primered, sprayed with interior color, then a mask was applied followed by the application of the exterior body color
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »
As Pete mention they were mounted to the unibody, primered, sprayed with interior color, then a mask was applied followed by the application of the exterior body color
+2 when you paint a car in this order you understand how much more efficent it actually is not dragging guns and hoses inside a freshly painted car

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »
Don't want to distract from this thread -but this is what was inside my door !

Mark
P.S. Some of the lizards are pretty big in AZ !
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:06:22 PM by svo2scj »
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969