Author Topic: 68 console pic needed  (Read 2816 times)

Offline 68 S Code

68 console pic needed
« on: January 29, 2011, 12:36:25 AM »
Trying to multi task between the convertible to structure and another. Chose to detail the console since need to shoot semi gloss black on the top frame and the console center section. The console has been apart for as long as the car has been (25 years). I can't remember how the plastic shifter plate (w/ P,R,N....) is attached to the main base. Looks like it goes below the main base and I see the cutouts which would mean screws w/  very large heads or washers. Odd thing is that the shifter plate has molded in countersink so something is not making sense. A pic of a semi disassembled console would be very helpful.

Offline 68 S Code

Re: 68 console pic needed
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:23:27 AM »
No one with a pic to help out. In 68 did this plastic insert get a brushed aluminum overlay over the area with the shifter indicator lenses? Wasn't that trim 67 only and in 68 it was just the black plastic?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:22:44 AM »
The plastic shifter plate should fit into slots on the shifter bucket attached to the car.  The shifter bucket is unique to a console-equipped car.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline dan green

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
Here is a pic of a 67.  The shifter section floats in the console body until it is positioned in the car.  Before the trim plate (brushed chrome plate) is installed and the console is screwed into the car you tighten the 4 screws that hold the P,R,... plate to the console body.  There are 3 special rectangular washers that are phosphate and oil finish.  The selector dial plastic piece has 2 pins that drop into 2 brackets spot welded onto the shifter body to align the selector..

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »
Dan thank you for posting the pics. I believe I have seen these rectangular plates down in the basement so will start looking for them. The shifter i have is correct and looks like the one you posted. But the pic reminded me that i need to get the gasket, so thanks for that.

Your consoles look really nice. Did you paint them? I took mine apart and cleaned all the years of dirt and dust off it but decided that I would leave it as is. The black seems OK as it has an aged patina to the plastic. But maybe I should paint it? Either light is reflecting off it or the grain has what looks like white specs. It was molded black so painting would not be correct would it?

Final question. The brushed alum piece at the shift indicator lights is standard on both 67 and 68?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:36:13 PM »
The brushed alum. was used on 67 & 68. The pins on the shift light assembly mate to the shifter and must be in place before the console is set. Also buy a new bulb and check it. You have to pull the whole console to change the bulb. You can guess how I know this. Marty

Offline dan green

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 10:04:10 PM »
I did repaint mine, both the saddle and the black in the chrome pieces.  I always have the colors custom matched at my paint store to be sure that I have the correct color, in this case in a satin/semi gloss finish.  In my opinion you should paint your console, how would anyone know.... and it will look a lot nicer.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:43:17 AM »
Changed both bulbs to the rear light, and the shift indicator earlier this evening. But thanks for the tip. The center console chrome piece is all taped out and ready for paint. What type of paint do you use for this type of part? I agree it would freashen it up but how durable is it as I plan to drive this one at least occassionly.

What would you recommend to add white to the shift indicator lenses.. I'm afraid paint may be messy (but the alum trim would hide some), white crayon/grease pencil an option but may attract dirt.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »
 Changed both bulbs to the rear light, and the shift indicator earlier this evening. But thanks for the tip. The center console chrome piece is all taped out and ready for paint. What type of paint do you use for this type of part? I agree it would freshen it up but how durable is it as I plan to drive this one at least occasional.
 What would you recommend to add white to the shift indicator lenses.. I'm afraid paint may be messy (but the alum trim would hide some), white crayon/grease pencil an option but may attract dirt.
[/quote]
I use a semi gloss enamel on the black metal parts and SEM vinyl dye preceded with a adhesion promoter. I have good luck with this even on the daily driver cars. The best way to replace the white in the shift indicator is to first scratch out the old paint then use testers white with a small brush. Let it set a couple of minutes and use a paper towel with some thinner to wipe off the excess. Marty

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 03:01:46 PM »
Thanks for the painting tips on the white for shift indicator lights and the console base. Needs to find a Sems distributor around here. Thanks again.