Author Topic: Convert interior windshield header trim finish  (Read 2029 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Convert interior windshield header trim finish
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:28:27 AM »
I know that the replacement pieces for the header and the sun visor bracket are repoped in chrome. Jeff S mentioned a Hard Chrome finish once which was really more of a grayish/argent color. If original is not obtainable what would you guys suggest? painting the new chrome pieces? Will paint stick?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Convert interior windshield header trim finish
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:46:45 AM »
I know that the replacement pieces for the header and the sun visor bracket are repoped in chrome. Jeff S mentioned a Hard Chrome finish once which was really more of a grayish/argent color. If original is not obtainable what would you guys suggest? painting the new chrome pieces? Will paint stick?
Rattle Tim Lea's cage he has had success with the satin chrome. Your other alternitive is paint. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:11:14 AM »
Problem with paint is as soon as you clamp the top down the j hooks will start flaking it away. After several attempts of having the satin chrome done with misc results I have found someone who does a great job.
His name is Ray  ViCatz@shaw.ca

Offline dan green

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »
Was this a 68 and later thing?
Were all 3 pieces done in satin chrome?  The 2 latch plates and the center header?

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:21:11 AM »
From what I remember all 3 were the same finish.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »
Was this a 68 and later thing?
Were all 3 pieces done in satin chrome?  The 2 latch plates and the center header?
All three matched and were the satin chrome. For some reason the after market in some cases has chosen to do the center piece in satin chrome like factory and the latch portion in shiny chrome? Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:07:45 PM »
I think the stem from the rear view mirror is as well.