Author Topic: 66 6 Cyl tie rod paint markings  (Read 1737 times)

Offline 66GTCoupe

66 6 Cyl tie rod paint markings
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »
thanks for the reply's on the previous post on the coil spring after some scrubbing of the orginal springs green paint stripes were seen.  I am working on the tie rod ends now inner and outer any body have an idea what colors are on the tie rods

thanks

Offline Pete Bush

Re: 66 6 Cyl tie rod paint markings
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:34:36 AM »
Glad you were able to determine the paint color of your springs. Maybe you can let us know whether the car has a thermactor or AC? When you post a question, the answers not only help you, but everyone that comes along afterward. Right now, it'd be helpful to determine just how accurate the MPC really is.

Pete
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 05:50:11 PM »
.........  I am working on the tie rod ends now inner and outer any body have an idea what colors are on the tie rods

Not sure what plant your car was built at (always helps in these discussions ;)  And from what I've seen I'm not sure that you should fine any in that location on your year vehicle  - though have seen a number of "restored" cars with them    ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »
I looked long and hard after using the Evaporust and found no color enywhere, although there was plenty of rust and scale that could have eradicated any marks that may have been there. :'(
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »
I looked long and hard after using the Evaporust and found no color enywhere, although there was plenty of rust and scale that could have eradicated any marks that may have been there. :'(

Often the paint marks will protect the metal for a while (if they later rust away) producing a different in the pitting or surface. You can often make out where, size and such, of rear spring markings even if the paint is long gone
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66GTCoupe

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:22:25 PM »
i did find a green paint mark on the pitman arm, while cleaning nothing on the tie rod ends

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »
i did find a green paint mark on the pitman arm, while cleaning nothing on the tie rod ends

Typically (found my fair share) on early cars have found pittman, idler, center link, spindles, steering box, spindle stops (or what ever the proper term is) and coil springs marked on 65-66 cars so exam those well

Good luck
Jeff Speegle