Author Topic: Autolite battery  (Read 7602 times)

Offline etennz

Autolite battery
« on: October 16, 2009, 10:43:06 AM »
 ??? I am ready to buy a battery for my 66 gt A-code built 12-18-65 Metuchen,NJ.and of course would like to get the best battery at the best price.Is there a dry cell made with the Autolite cover?Where has everyone else gotten the best deals on Autolite gp 22-24's?Thanks in advance for any help.MW

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Autolite battery
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »
Jeff is getting everyone trained well with the date and assembly plant ,but in this electrical case you would also have to consider how the car was equipped from the factory. If it didn't have air conditioning chances are it came with a 22F battery. No 22's available yet. The 24 and 27 1968 and up style ( change came in late 67 from my research) are the only alternative new reproduction. We want to create the demand so as to give the vendors incentive. So complain to whoever.  I believe there is only one company now that builds the repro batteries and they sell to various Mustang speciality companies. There is not a lot of mark up available for a retailer so many choose not to handle them. The are available ether the conventional acid fill or the maintenance free. I would go with the extra cost maintenance free. Others who have taken them apart have reported a optima battery inside the maintenance free ones. Antique battery company I think is the only MFG at this time. You can buy direct or through various others. If you google the subject you will come up with various choices. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »
I have bought both the dry and maintenance free from Antique Auto battery (Group24). In the long run I think you'll be more satisfied to spend the extra on the sealed unit as the dry one once charged will be just like the old days with leakage on to your restored car. Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:32:19 AM »
Just a word of caution on the maintenance free one: Right in the instruction book that comes with the battery it states NOT to ever jump-start the battery with anouther car or a jump-box it will destroy the circuitry inside it!
I personally think this should be in BIG RED LETTERS on the front of the paperwork.

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:37:11 AM »
There's another repro battery on the market that uses modern AGM technology.  It can be jump started just like any other modern battery.  Here's a link to the company that makes and sells them:

http://www.turbostart.com/

I believe this is the same company that used to be New Castle Battery.  I've seen some of their ads where they show that Antique Auto battery is using an Optima red top inside their repro cases.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:20:08 AM »
There's another repro battery on the market that uses modern AGM technology.  It can be jump started just like any other modern battery.  Here's a link to the company that makes and sells them:

http://www.turbostart.com/

I believe this is the same company that used to be New Castle Battery.  I've seen some of their ads where they show that Antique Auto battery is using an Optima red top inside their repro cases.

Yes, same company.  They have the Autolite molds.  Unfortunately, the name "Autolite" is now a trademark of a company called Honeywell.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:53:48 AM »
They used to sell the autolite batteries but checking just today in their collector car battery line the Autolite is missing . Tons of Delco. The Ford batteries that they carry only go up to 1953. I hope this is only a problem I experienced on their website and not that they no longer make the Autolite series. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 02:48:54 PM »
They used to sell the autolite batteries but checking just today in their collector car battery line the Autolite is missing . Tons of Delco. The Ford batteries that they carry only go up to 1953. I hope this is only a problem I experienced on their website and not that they no longer make the Autolite series. Bob

I'm pretty sure the problem is with their site.  I've seen them selling Autolite batteries at Carlisle (mostly recently this past spring) and I have a recent email note from them confirming that they sell "newer" repro Autolite batteries.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 10:29:47 PM »
With the Honeywell thing, I don't think they can use the trademark "Autolite" in any of their advertising or online commerce.  They still make/sell them though, you just have to call and ask for one.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jholtman

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 08:05:12 PM »
I live in New Castle PA and went to Axion Battery (bought New Castle Battery) today and talked with the secretary there and she advised me that they have been trying to get the approval from Ford to sell the Autolite battery and so far have been unsuccessful.  I was there last year and was told the same thing.  I know for a fact that they have them there ready to go but they will not sell them without Ford's approval.  They can only sell 1953 and back.

Offline etennz

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:34:08 AM »
I got the battery from Antique Auto Battery because it was the only place I found that had the license to make exact repro's.I asked the lady there if it was an Optima inside the case and she said it was a different brand.When I got the paperwork it listed a charger for Odyssey batteries only,so I assume that is what is inside.It was $266 shipped,which almost stopped my heart,but now that I have it here it looks really nice in the car.Thanks again.MW

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 10:19:42 AM »
If you keep a battery tender (TM ) hooked up to the battery while in storage you will not only have the insurance of a fully charged battery when it is time to go but also a good long life with that now sizable investment  ;) . I am going on 6 years with a couple of old style acid filled (non maintenace free) from New Castle and Motorcraft maintenance free batteries after switching over to battery tenders. They come with alligator clip or permanent type connectors so you have a choice for convenience. There are other styles available of this same type of charger that electronically senses when the voltage reaches a certain level and shuts itself and then comes on again when the volts drops below 12volts. That is unlike a regular trickle charger which keeps charging regards of if your battery is fully charged or not leading to damage to the battery if left on for extended periods of time. The battery tender junior is cheaper and I bought mine on amazon for 29.00 . It is all you will need to keep your battery maintained during storage . If however you have a significantly low charged or dead battery to begin with the junior will not have enough guts to charge it up and you would need the regular battery tender which sells for 59.00 from Eastwood etc.but cheaper from other sources. You could also charge the battery up on a conventional charger and then switch over to the battery tender junior for storage. I have both styles for my collection. I just have experience with this brand .  I am sure there are other brands out there that do the same thing. I hope this helps. Bob