Author Topic: 69/70 hood radio ground  (Read 2197 times)

Offline astat1

69/70 hood radio ground
« on: October 20, 2009, 12:23:44 PM »
Did the 69/70 Shelby's originally have the cowl to hood radio ground or is it only found on Mustangs? Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69/70 hood radio ground
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:29:06 PM »
I understand that it was left off  (not installed)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 11:39:42 AM »
Does that mean that the hole for the ground clip was never drilled on a Shelby?
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 03:09:58 PM »
Typically not drilled.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 04:29:22 PM »
Per the 69 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manuals, "USE EXISTING DRILL DIMPLE". All 69 radios were an option, so all the accompanying additional items (antenna and ground strap) were mounted on the assembly line or dealer (antenna).
As the 69 Shelbys started out as Mustangs on the assembly line, I recommend you get a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals. You can mark up the manuals as you acquire information. Unfortunately, there are no 69 "Interior" or 69 "Weld & Sealant" manuals but the 70 Mustang manuals are "similar".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »

Think we're discussing two different "holes" and this may make it more difficult to describe

My observations are that since Dearborn often used one of the screw holes used to hold down the cowl cover the holes would still be present

The locations of where Dearborn workers typically installed the grounding strap on Mustangs were shown in the thread listed below

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=18087.msg114445#msg114445

Not unusual that it appears that workers did not always/rarely used the hole/location designated for the grounding strap depending on the plant and the individual worker assigned to this station on a regular basis

The cowl cover has the holes already predrilled in the forward edge for this purpose. So looking at pictures (only found late/high numbered cars with pictures of this area) we can see the hole in the cowl cover and I've included a picture with the cowl cover removed showing the bare cowl in an effort to illustrate what was done.

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 10:17:14 PM »
I agree the holes in the cowl cover were already predrilled. It is hard to tell from your pictures if the holes are drilled in the metal below the empty cowl panel hole . It is more typical for that metal underneath the empty cowl panel hole to not have a hole in on a 69/70 Shelby . Not to say some couldn't have gotten a hole for one reason or the other just less typical. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby