Author Topic: 68 C6 detailing questions  (Read 5383 times)

Offline 68 S Code

68 C6 detailing questions
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:39:46 PM »
Trying to get the c6 ready to go into the car. Could use some direction/help in detailing the linkage, servo etc. All I know is that the case is bare aluminum as is the tail shaft housing. Bolts at tail shaft housing and at the side of the servo are to be black oxide. I believe the linkage is to be zinc plated? How about the levers at the side of the case? Pan is natural steel and the pan bolts are plain as well. Inspection cover and cross brace mount are SG black. Need lots of help.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 C6 detailing questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »
Trying to get the c6 ready to go into the car. Could use some direction/help in detailing the linkage, servo etc. All I know is that the case is bare aluminum as is the tail shaft housing. Bolts at tail shaft housing and at the side of the servo are to be black oxide. I believe the linkage is to be zinc plated? How about the levers at the side of the case? Pan is natural steel and the pan bolts are plain as well. Inspection cover and cross brace mount are SG black. Need lots of help.
I have seen the C6 inspection cover SG black and others bare steel but all of the crossmembers I have ever seen were bare steel just like the 4 speed BB crossmember. I have three setting on my shelf that have never been blasted and are bare steel under the grease  (zero rust which is why I have them ) . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:56:09 AM »
Thanks for the info on the cross brace Bob. I will need todouble check what I did as it's been stored off site for the last 8 months. Any other tips?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
Thanks for the info on the cross brace Bob. I will need todouble check what I did as it's been stored off site for the last 8 months. Any other tips?
I forgot to add that I believe the levers were bare steel. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:12:49 PM »
Thanks Bob. Anyone else have any info?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 06:19:50 PM »
Levers are bare steel. Which linkage? Shifter is zinc, rod phosphate, kickdown natural bare steel
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:57:12 PM »
Tim I believe you call it the rod, I call it the linkage and the service manual refers to it as manual linkage rod. It goes from shifter towards the front to the manual lever.
Can I simply replace the four bolts at the servo cover and at tail extension with temporary bolts from say hardware store so as to refinish these and then put them back without affecting any setting at servo? Seems to have a piston and spring behind there. I would only remove one bolt at a time.
S

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:12:54 AM »
I don't think anything will happen if you remove servo cover bolts. No setting to contend with

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »
Thanks Tim.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »
I don't think anything will happen if you remove servo cover bolts. No setting to contend with

+1  if the car isn't running ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:49:56 AM »
I took some pics of tranny so I could go over with a local tranny builder what was safe to remove and refinish. He told me to leave the vent on the passenger side alone and what might be a band adjustment bolt forward of the neutral safety switch.

I'd like to clean up inside the bell housing while I'm at it. I can just slide the torque converter off the main splined shaft? Plug converter to keep out contaminants and reinstall once done?

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 11:13:21 AM »
Tim, the manual linkage rod does not look to have been phosphated. It has a goldish/greenish tint to it. More like ZD or possibly zinc. Weathered but very little rust. Looks more oxidized than rusty.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 09:54:46 AM »
Tim, after cleaning of the road grime off the bolts for the extension housing (tail piece), the servo cover and cross brace insulator all the bolt finishes look the same and they are phoshated not black oxide. There is a spring clip (don't reallyknow what it does) and some tiny wave washer and spring clip which are black oxide. To verify the bolts I bought ambolt finished in black oxide and cleaned it the same way as originals and the finish was unaffected. So I have to say my servo and tail bolts were phosphate originally. The manual linkage rod may just be weathered phosphate which turned light gray from age. The brighter silver may be scratches down to bare steel from fasteners.

Searched for the converter color code on case with a magnifying glass with no luck. Gave up searching for it on the web. Went to refinish the converter instead. Lucked out because the converter color code survived all these years. Small Paint slash of mustard yellow/dark grabber orange. The only paint mark found on the original silver jade converter paint.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 07:29:23 PM »
Tim, after cleaning of the road grime off the bolts for the extension housing (tail piece), the servo cover and cross brace insulator all the bolt finishes look the same and they are phoshated not black oxide.
I could have told you that  ;) Is the clip on the drivers side or passenger side?

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 02:35:13 AM »
Drivers side right below the machined ear sticking out off the case. The flat part faces the tail shaft and the side with the pointy spike faces the bell housing. What does this clip do. Do you run the neutral safety switch harness through it? Thats all I can think of.