Author Topic: Division II paint requirement  (Read 2526 times)

Offline dan green

Division II paint requirement
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »
What is the paint requirement for division II judging? :-\
Is BC/CC acceptable? 
I am getting ready to paint 6S455 and will be painting lemans stripes.
I am debating between BC/CC (for the sole purpose of the stripes) and single stage acrylic urethane.  I like to spray the single stage (easier to over spray) but like the idea of the stripes being buried under clear coat.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Division II paint requirement
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:35:06 AM »
What is the paint requirement for division II judging? :-\
Is BC/CC acceptable? 
I am getting ready to paint 6S455 and will be painting lemans stripes.
I am debating between BC/CC (for the sole purpose of the stripes) and single stage acrylic urethane.  I like to spray the single stage (easier to over spray) but like the idea of the stripes being buried under clear coat.
It is not so much a paint requirement as much as a look requirement. You will will need to make some choices .If concours show judging is your primary motivation the single stage and orange peel will have the correct look and maximum points. A base coat clear coat can still get that look if you leave some orange peel. The burying the stripe in clear coat will be a points deduction in concours. If you are not concerned about the original look that concours competition encourages then you can paint the car with the system that you like best. You choose. Bob   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »
..........I am debating between BC/CC (for the sole purpose of the stripes) and single stage acrylic urethane.  I like to spray the single stage (easier to over spray) but like the idea of the stripes being buried under clear coat.

That will guarantee loss of points since it will not look original - sorry but that is the choices ;)

No real differences between Div I and II in the paint department. But we don't test the paint as some organizations do  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rick Nochta

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:00:37 AM »
Single stage (paint and clear are mixed ) may look spotty when applied and will be difficult to buff to remove dirt. You will be asking for trouble if you use single stage . Two stage (base/clear) with 3 coats of clear will be the easiest and can be buffed to removed imperfections . No deductions at SAAC or MCA for BC/CC. Rick Nochta SAAC 36 65-66 Shelby Asst. Head Judge , MCA Gold Card