Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

Wiring harness manufacturers

(1/5) > >>

midlife:
OK, guys (and gals)...anyone out there know who manufactured wiring looms for Ford?  As best as I can tell, there was probably only one manufacturer during any one year, as there are no substantial differences in connector moldings, wire colors, etc. to the trained eye.  I'm just curious who the vendor was.

As an aside, I recently ran across a manufacturer repair before the harness was delivered to Ford.  The ACC line running from the fuse box to the ignition was clipped as it exited the tape near each end, leaving a small exposed piece of wire.  Another complete line was then installed.  How do I know this was a vendor repair?  There was a harness sticker on both the inner and outer wraps of tape.  Surely Ford did not put the stickers on each harness as it was delivered to the plant.

ruppstang:
I have seen differences in the 67-68 harness used at the SJ plants the plastic anchors are differant than the Dearborn and NJ plants. Leading me to believe that there may have been a California supplier. Marty

J_Speegle:
Not sure if there was one source. We see the different ways the ends were wrapped and this may indicate different suppliers or even multiple sub contractors for these.

One story I would also offer. In the mid 70's the family took one of those family vacations which took us across the AZ desert. Dad recalled (and reminded me 20 years ago) that at one of the gas stations we stopped at way out in no where and a jig set up in the service area where they were assembling wire looms for power seats on that years T birds and Lincolns. Doubt they were doing all of them for Ford - more likely a sub for another contractor

CharlesTurner:
Seen 'CCC' markings on some original looms.  Also have seen 'Made in Canada' on some original alternator wiring looms.

Most of them I have seen just have a FoMoCo wrap label with an engineering number and sometimes 'SX' on the label.

J_Speegle:
IMHO we will likely find many different markings which may relate to different suppliers and or subs if we look across all the classic years and the three plants

Looking through one group of pictures I have with wiring labels I found the following in addition to the typical dates, FoMoCo and engineering numbers

SX-(small) w
SX-(small) R
SX-(small) A
SX-(small) L
(small) P (then large) SX
PAP
WCC
CCC in an oval
RMTE shaped into a right facing arrow (? on spelling)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version