Author Topic: How do you clean a yellowing washer bottle?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline mustang.biz

How do you clean a yellowing washer bottle?
« on: October 30, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »
I have a '68 washer bottle that is original with no cracks but it is yellowed and has some stains.

Any techniques to getting it cleaned up?

Offline ruppstang

Re: How do you clean a yellowing washer bottle?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
I have thoroughly clean then add bleach and put it in the sun for a day or two. Marty

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:22:14 PM »
Cant say for sure if the bleach is a the way to go. i did this to my washer bottle 20 + years ago and although it cleaned it up nice, it literally caved in on its self waiting for the car to be finished. It was not under any stress just laying on a shelf pretty much away from any harmful sun light. Looked at it a few years ago when i was thinking about finishing the car and noticed that the bottle had crumbled. Bought a repop but I would like to find a nice original.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:51:39 PM »
You need a high concentration of peroxide.  Do a google search on whitening yellow plastic and you should find some results.  Guys have been doing this with old computer cases.  Has something to do with bromine in the original mixture, but applies to other plastics too.  The key is using the high concentration and putting it in direct sunlight.  Word of caution about high concentrate peroxide is to wear gloves and eye protection. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »
Also, the high grade hydrogen peroxide will not remove all stains on the washer bottle. I soaked a perfect shaped one in 35% hydrogen peroxide for 4 months and the stain remained.

Remember, your milage may vary!

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
Your original washer reservoir was never completely white even in 1968, they are supposed to have that yellowish off white look to some degree.

I believe mine was submerged for only a few weeks and came out pretty nice.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC