Author Topic: Pledge polish on metal/paint  (Read 3214 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Pledge polish on metal/paint
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:44:03 AM »
My restorer swears by the use of Pledge polish on some under-hood and some undercarriage areas even on painted areas for detailing.
At first this puzzled me, but then I read the can and it in fact says for use on METAL.
I recently tried in right on the painted surface on one fender on my car (Black car) and BOY!! what a shine!! it to me out shines all the spritzer type quick waxes that I've tried, really nice, deep shine, I'm going to do the whole car soon unless anyone can tell me why I should not-the paint is modern Sherwin Williams base/clear......

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Pledge polish on metal/paint
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »
Sounds ok to me, but I probably wouldn't use it on the exterior surfaces.  Would recommend a good show wax, followed with turtle wax Ice to hide any surface scratches.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »
Sounds ok to me, but I probably wouldn't use it on the exterior surfaces.  Would recommend a good show wax, followed with turtle wax Ice to hide any surface scratches.
Try Pledge on chrome and you will be pleasantly surprised   ;). I have been using it for that purpose for about 6 years since being introduced to the use by another enthusiast . I always keep some handy now in my detail kit. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »

Charles, What are you calling "show wax"? I've been using the Meguire's Tech 2000 wax lately, and have also tried the turtle wax ice as well, I didn't realize that I'd need to use a "wax" then the turtle ice as well....

I've used the meguire's spray detailer and a couple of others as well as the turtle wax spray detailer after the meguire's tech 2000, but never anything afterwards........

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »
Any carnauba wax would be fine.  I like the Griot's stuff.  Been using turtle wax ice as a final application on my daily driver for the past few years, makes it look like a new car and lasts a couple months.  On newer cars, great for plastic trim pieces and rubber and does a great job at hiding all the surface blems.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »
Guys will try anything

I've used the aerosol style Pledge on the low gloss Mach I style hoods with good results though it does become a link magnet at that point (still looks better

Have tried it under the hood but it results in splotching and inconsistent tones if you don't keep applying it, in my experience

If it gets on glass its not pretty;)

Remember one Chief (where I worked) years ago that they "waxed" his duty car with Armor All - paint was old and dead/faded and it did make it shine real nice for a while. Sure if they ever tried to paint that car again it would be near impossible to get a good job.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)