Author Topic: 70 Boss 302 - Bolts  (Read 4018 times)

Offline MAPSVO

70 Boss 302 - Bolts
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:06:04 AM »
I am getting started on my 1970 Boss 302. The engine was overhauled quite sometime ago and has been on the stand since then. I am going to disassemble it and check everything out. The first thing I ordered was a bolt kit from AMK. A couple of questions on how those motors were painted when they were new.

Which bolts were NOT painted blue, or which bolts should be unfinished ( Intake, starter, bell housing and so on).

Maybe a better thing to ask is just what should be on the engine when I paint it?

I am looking at the MCA rules and have gotten that the distributor hold down is natural so I can assume the bolt is also, but not sure about the thermostat housing bolts since it can be painted or natural and are the intake bolts painted or natural.

Sorry for the confused post, but I want to get it right the first time for a change.

Thanks

Mark Potter

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:42:27 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Boss 302 Bolts
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »
All the bolts attached to the engine (from the engine plate - between the bellhousing and engine - forward) were painted with the engine except

Fan, dist, fuel pump, intake, valve covers, exhaust (may have paint or overspray depending on the pattern applied to the manifolds) long and adjusting alternator, and coil bolt. Water bypass hose and clamps as well as the coil plate were installed when everything was painted so they got a coat of paint also

Think that is it - if not someone else will pipe in

Intake was on the assembled engine but the current understanding is that there was a mask applied/dropped over it as well as the PVS when the engine assy was painted.

If I had gotten things done that need to be I could show you pictures of a freshly painted one :(

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline MAPSVO

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:44:09 AM »
Yes it does thanks. Since the bypass hose got painted then it probably would be more correct to paint the thermostat housing as well? I will attempt to paint the engine with a mask over the intake. It's hard not to "over pretty" the final product by making everyhting nice and neat.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 06:47:42 PM »
Yes it does thanks. Since the bypass hose got painted then it probably would be more correct to paint the thermostat housing as well? I will attempt to paint the engine with a mask over the intake. It's hard not to "over pretty" the final product by making everyhting nice and neat.

Yes the thermostat housing was installed with bolts so they all get paint.

Often (for masking ) guys have used foam tape for the edge

I made my own mask - possibly something like the engine plant used

Have not used it on this engine yet (parts still missing) - just thrown on to give the effect

And yes - before one of my "friends" pipe up - I do appear to sometimes have too much free time. Though I really don't ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:53:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline mach1one

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:19:09 PM »
Jeff, do youm have any final pics of the painted boss 302 engine showing the blue on the manifolds/thermostat and bypass hose Thanks Lu

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:36:53 AM »
Jeff, do youm have any final pics of the painted boss 302 engine showing the blue on the manifolds/thermostat and bypass hose Thanks Lu

Sorry - like allot of things) this project is still waiting my attention

Don't have allot of clear pictures of the finished product on others -
Sure you can find plenty of "restored" cars with out this detail - just as you can any small block

Here is an original example from a pretty original low mileage car and one of a pretty familiar restored example
Jeff Speegle