Author Topic: Mustang Letters and "pins".  (Read 6123 times)

Offline yelostang

Mustang Letters and "pins".
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:20:46 AM »
A discussion has come up re pins on 65-6 GT Letters. Mention was made that the repo pins are a bit off and that adhesive attachment is possible. Actually did that on a 65 GT and it looked hard to detect, if at all possible. Is this a problem in judging? Using a straight edge, knowing the spacing, used a contact cement. They never "fell off"

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Mustang Letters and "pins".
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 08:16:09 PM »
So long as the adhesive is not notable and there is no stick-um pad used (Like the D1ZZ letters), should be ok.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 09:39:39 PM »
The other advantage to using adhesive is that the letters don't rattle against the sheet metal.  I used 3M Plastic and Emblem Adhesive and it's clear.  Just be careful aligning everything up...you'll only have one shot!

A tip for removing letters from the barrel nuts: use dental floss to get behind the letters and pull out from the sheet metal.  Don't pry with anything!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:21:02 PM »
Is the rattling considered normal then?

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
The other advantage to using adhesive is that the letters don't rattle against the sheet metal.  I used 3M Plastic and Emblem Adhesive and it's clear.  Just be careful aligning everything up...you'll only have one shot!

I just put my repro letters on and they are awful.  I can't live with how crooked they are.  How do you use this adhesive so that you dont end up with a mess of adhesive all over?  Do you just cut the pins off the letters or buy the sticky back type and remove the pad?  I sure hope your dental floss trick works.  I hate going backwards.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 10:34:31 PM »
I carefully laid out where the letters go with masking tape above and just below the letters.  On the masking tape were measured points where each letter begins.  You then apply the adhesive to the back of the letter with a toothpick and carefully place the letter in its proper position.  You don't need to slobber on the adhesive: just a little dab will do ya!  It dries to a clear, so that any small spillage can't be seen unless you look very closely.

Offline sparky65

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »
Thanks for the dental floss trick.  It took a while but it worked.  I ended up with them better then before but still not great.  It seems the letters are diffrent sizes and not exactly square so aligning things  was difficult.   I guess I should go right to glueing the ones on the fender and the hood?  No reason to believe they would fit any better right?

I really hate this.  Something that should be an easy 5-min job takes hours because they cant make things right. >:(
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »
A good set of used originals might be a good solution.  Or, if you can fork out the $$, NOS ones usually are decent.

Offline sparky65

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 11:24:17 PM »
A good set of used originals might be a good solution.  Or, if you can fork out the $$, NOS ones usually are decent.

Actually I decided to place the repro letters into the fender without the inserts to take a look.  Noticed right away the way the A sat was different then the trunk lid.  Out of curiosity I dug out what I think is an original set which has poor chrome but otherwise intact and placed them in the same holes.  Actually the originals looked much worse.  Now before I jump to conclusions I dont know for sure if the letters are original.  Also one of these fenders looked like it was replaced at one point in time and I cant remember which side it was.  Either way it has me wondering how Ford originally placed the holes and if they occasionally didn't look perfect.  Here are some pictures I dug up of the alignment.  Notice the fenders where repainted (actually just primmer), but I think they put the original letters back in.  Anyone know how to check the letters?

If I had to guess I would say this side was the replacement fender.  I think the car was in a small fender bender many years ago.  The only reason I say that was the back side didn't get undercoating and was still in the red primmer so it had a few rust through spots.  I would say it was still a ford fender.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 11:49:39 PM »
Missaligned letters are normal. Get used to it. See a previous thread -
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4437.msg24691#msg24691
My 66 K GT letters are in there.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 12:26:58 AM »
The upper fender picture would be typical of original letters.  Some are better than others, but they usually aren't badly misaligned like in the 2nd picture.  That was most likely the result of someone trying to duplicate the original holes and obviously way off the mark.