Author Topic: 69 Shelby Fender sealer Question?  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Grabber350

69 Shelby Fender sealer Question?
« on: January 04, 2010, 05:41:44 AM »
I have seen the gray strip caulk used on underneath the fender mounting lip before but my Shelby’s fenders looks like it used allot more then just strip caulk, Like the used caulking gun. Not sure what color or product to use to duplicate this? any suggestions?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Shelby Fender sealer Question?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:45:12 AM »
On restored cars I think we have a number of things going on.

1- Often the fenders are bowed to match the deformed (curved) hoods  so there is often a very large gap left between the fenders and inner fenders. Even witnessed one "restorer" (using the term loosely :( that used the expandable foam to fill the gap

2- But there was often allot more used when the Shelby front ends were installed and a lot sloppier than the regular Mustang applications generally - looking at pictures of original cars

3- We see allot of people using the light gray sealant that IMHO is not historically correct. A dark gray or black would be more correct IMHO. I would likely try some 3M cord chalking since it's easy to work with. Multiple strands can be formed together and I think you could mix the black and some of the light gray together to get a closer color. The problem with the stuff it that it will stay tacky for a long time. Original stuff likely was the same and took many years to dry as hard as a rock

Sure a couple of others here will have some excellent input and help
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 Shelby Fender sealer Question?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 01:22:59 AM »
On restored cars I think we have a number of things going on.

1- Often the fenders are bowed to match the deformed (curved) hoods  so there is often a very large gap left between the fenders and inner fenders. Even witnessed one "restorer" (using the term loosely :( that used the expandable foam to fill the gap

2- But there was often allot more used when the Shelby front ends were installed and a lot sloppier than the regular Mustang applications generally - looking at pictures of original cars

3- We see allot of people using the light gray sealant that IMHO is not historically correct. A dark gray or black would be more correct IMHO. I would likely try some 3M cord chalking since it's easy to work with. Multiple strands can be formed together and I think you could mix the black and some of the light gray together to get a closer color. The problem with the stuff it that it will stay tacky for a long time. Original stuff likely was the same and took many years to dry as hard as a rock

Sure a couple of others here will have some excellent input and help
+1 . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby