Author Topic: styled steel wheel restoration  (Read 9068 times)

Offline 67gta289

styled steel wheel restoration
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:17:17 PM »
Looking for hints on how to restore styled steel wheels.

I was thinking to do this:
1. Grind out rivets from wheel side
2. Punch out rivets and save for later
3. Get centers rechromed, followed by appropriate paint
4. Refinish wheels in black on epoxy primer (not power coated)
5. Refinish rivets (P&O or gun blue)
6. Insert rivets and weld from wheel side (for looks only)
7. Weld center to wheel along edges on back side, grind, and paint

This is assuming that nobody will want to install rivets for safety purposes, which may not be the case.

I'm interested on what has been done by others, and what mistakes to avoid.  I did a search on this site and did not see any threads. Thanks, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gta289

Re: styled steel wheel restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »
So am I going out on a limb doing this?  Is this a dumb idea?  Or does everyone just order repros?
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:50:38 AM »
I've never done them.  Always either used repro or NOS when needed.

Think there are liability issues with the wheel re-riveting, not many places will do it these days.  Did you check in Hemming's for any places that offer wheel restoration?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 12:05:29 PM »
Charles is correct, use repro or NOS. I have a set of 5 original Style Steel Wheels on my 66 Fastback in very good condition. I removed the remaining paint and re-painted them. My 65 has 4 original "all chrome" type Style Steel Wheels and I'm tempted to have them re-chromed but the chrome shop said that there was a strong possibility that corrosion would show after a period of time where the center was riveted to the outer section. I'm considering repro as the costs are about the same. For my 66 Hardtop driver I took some advice from someone even older than me and got a set of 67 repro wheels as I have a set of Cooper radials tires and the extra width (not much) would be better. This was about 10 years ago and they look and work fine.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MyRed66GT

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 10:55:18 PM »
Just found a place that might be able to restore your SSW's for you. McWheels. 605 6th Avenue. Slater, Iowa 50244. 515-685-3397. curt.mckim162@gmail.com. Sounds like you are looking at about $140 per wheel. Of course not able to re-rivet, must weld.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 11:39:47 PM »
So am I going out on a limb doing this?  Is this a dumb idea?  Or does everyone just order repros?
Difficult to true the wheel before rivet /welding for DIY i have heard. The original wheel rim is slightly different compared to modern replacement DOT approved rims . The replacement centers are pretty much spot on. If you can't get the riveted look it is not worth restoring IMHO. Check specialty wheels they used to sell riveted replacement.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 08:53:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  If I decide to go with a restoration I'll post the details and results.  John
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »
Charles is correct, use repro or NOS. I have a set of 5 original Style Steel Wheels on my 66 Fastback in very good condition. I removed the remaining paint and re-painted them. My 65 has 4 original "all chrome" type Style Steel Wheels and I'm tempted to have them re-chromed but the chrome shop said that there was a strong possibility that corrosion would show after a period of time where the center was riveted to the outer section. I'm considering repro as the costs are about the same. For my 66 Hardtop driver I took some advice from someone even older than me and got a set of 67 repro wheels as I have a set of Cooper radials tires and the extra width (not much) would be better. This was about 10 years ago and they look and work fine.
Jim

Any tips as to how you prepped and painted your SS wheels?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
Have a local company that changes out centers and rims on a regular bases if you want to send that step out to professionals. Might be fun getting the rivets completely sealed. Good luck
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 12:22:15 AM »
Any tips as to how you prepped and painted your SS wheels?
I made paint masks from old unused IBM punch cards. The stiffness of the card was what I needed. It was trial and error but eventually I got a set of five (one for each open slot in the wheel), a roll of masking tape, a glass of wine and a good day to paint. It alsp helps if you've been building plastic model cars, planes and ships for a verrrry long time.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 05:19:39 PM »
Going to bring up an old thread. I would preffer using my OE wheels if at all practical also.

Repops? That is the answer? Seriously, we cave in to repops because of why? ...the Rivets? Obviously Kelsey did a fine job and they lasted 50 years, all we want is to rechrome the centers and put them back! Seems easy enough if we are already riveting ball joints back in. Just my 2 cents worth

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
Going to bring up an old thread. I would preffer using my OE wheels if at all practical also.

Repops? That is the answer? Seriously, we cave in to repops because of why? ...the Rivets? Obviously Kelsey did a fine job and they lasted 50 years, all we want is to rechrome the centers and put them back! Seems easy enough if we are already riveting ball joints back in. Just my 2 cents worth

Richard
Because it isn't always practical  ;) . Tools needed and cost are not practical many times. Not a typical DIY job. True design wheels in CO is one company that can and will restore them . You will have to contact them for a price for disassembly of good usable cores,  rechrome of rim (If usable) ,  rechroming of center,  riveting together the trued assembly and final center detail. That is why a good repro is the answer for some.  I would also add a repro is a 1 800 number away which sometimes makes a difference.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 07:14:02 PM »
I'm not there yet, but am committed to do this myself or possibly with "True Design Wheels" (thanks for the tip Bob) if the price to effort ratio is reasonable.  And I'll report back on the results.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Toploader

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »
Not a typical DIY job.

+1. Wheel riveting: A critical factory process involving great safety concerns. Must control steel grades, tolerances, temperature, pressure rates, conduct (destructive) test procedures to ensure strength etc.

Appreciate your commitment though.
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 05:45:53 PM »
+1. Wheel riveting: A critical factory process involving great safety concerns. Must control steel grades, tolerances, temperature, pressure rates, conduct (destructive) test procedures to ensure strength etc.

Appreciate your commitment though.

I agree.  Take care
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6