Author Topic: coil spring color stripes 67 SJ GT  (Read 3187 times)

Offline 67gta289

coil spring color stripes 67 SJ GT
« on: January 06, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
Just pulled what appears to be original springs from my 67 SJ GT fastback, 289, no a/c, no competition handling package, Dec '66 build.

Both springs have a very clean (for 42 yrs) yellow paint stripe from top to bottom. The stripe width is very consistent.  I also see faint evidence of a second stripe, purple color, on both springs.  The purple stripe width is the same as the yellow.  A third color, white, is there as well, although it has a spray can look, very different than the other two colors.  I don't think that the white was part of the spring identification marking.

I also noted that the yellow and purple stripes are about 10 degrees off vertical when the springs sit on a table.  Could they have been painted when compressed?  Some pictures are attached for reference.

Now for a couple of questions:
1. Can someone confirm or correct the color codes for my springs.
2. Other than the build sheet, is there any other document that has this and other similar (leaf spring, drive shaft, rear axle, etc.) color information?  I did not find anything on the MCA web site member area, nor in the Ford drawings found in the "Jim Osborn" manuals.
3. Any recommendations on duplicating the stripes?

Thanks, John
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:29:00 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: coil spring color stripes 67 SJ GT
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 09:11:59 PM »
Just pulled what appears to be original springs from my 67 SJ GT fastback, 289, no a/c, no competition handling package, Dec '66 build.

Both springs have a very clean (for 42 yrs) yellow paint stripe from top to bottom. The stripe width is very consistent.  I also see faint evidence of a second stripe, purple color, on both springs.  The purple stripe width is the same as the yellow. 

Could you tell us if it is an A or C code?

A third color, white, is there as well, although it has a spray can look, very different than the other two colors.  I don't think that the white was part of the spring identification marking.

Current understanding is that the third sprayed white stripe indicates a marginal spring rate when testing (slightly over or under sorry can't remember this moment) so that installers could match up two of the same

I also noted that the yellow and purple stripes are about 10 degrees off vertical when the springs sit on a table.  Could they have been painted when compressed?  Some pictures are attached for reference.

More likely IMHO just a crooked application

Now for a couple of questions:
1. Can someone confirm or correct the color codes for my springs.

Will check my records

2. Other than the build sheet, is there any other document that has this and other similar (leaf spring, drive shaft, rear axle, etc.) color information?  I did not find anything on the MCA web site member area, nor in the Ford drawings found in the "Jim Osborn" manuals.

Some refer to the MPC's but IMHO that only shows what was available at the time of printing to replace not what was on the car (or the markings) of the original. For 67 we only have other original cars and buildsheets to go on. Both much better resources than books and catalogs

3. Any recommendations on duplicating the stripes

Pretty easy - mix up some matching color sit it on a work bench upside down, apply the paint with a brush ( I use a 1/2 acid brush) and sit them flat so that the runs duplicate what you found
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

Re: coil spring color stripes 67 SJ GT
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:56:16 AM »
Quote from: 67gta289 on January 06, 2010, 07:13:22 PM

Both springs have a very clean (for 42 yrs) yellow paint stripe from top to bottom. The stripe width is very consistent.  I also see faint evidence of a second stripe, purple color, on both springs.  The purple stripe width is the same as the yellow.

Could you tell us if it is an A or C code?

Reply - C Code

Thanks for all of the good information! John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660