Author Topic: Rear Axle Paint Markings - Dearborn '67  (Read 5285 times)

Offline 67TXStang

Rear Axle Paint Markings - Dearborn '67
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:57:31 PM »
I've removed the rear axle from my Mustang.  As I cleaned the axle housing and 3rd member, I searched for paint markings.  I was wondering what one should expect to find on a 04/21/67 Dearborn Mustang.  The Mustang came with a 289-2V, 3 speed toploader, and 8" open 2.79 gear.

I found the number 12 written on the bottom of the axle housing.  It written in white on the flat surface face which faces down when installed. 

There appears to be bright orange paint on the passenger side of the axle tube as it enters the main part of the housing.  There was not much paint left so I'm not sure if it was just a daub or was part of a stripe which had worn off.

I'm not sure if the 3rd member had paint markings or not.  It looked like there could be a little white daub on the side opposite the fill plug.  It also looked like there could be a yellow daub at the fill plug.  These were so light I'm not sure if it was paint or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline 67TXStang

Re: Rear Axle Paint Markings - Dearborn '67
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:22:41 PM »
Could anyone tell me if there were stripes (or bands) painted around the rear axle at the point were the axle housing entered the center section?

I noticed a little orange paint in this location on my axle.  I'm wonder if it was most likely a daub or a stripe which had almost worn completely away.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 01:16:13 AM »
I've removed the rear axle from my Mustang.  As I cleaned the axle housing and 3rd member, I searched for paint markings.  I was wondering what one should expect to find on a 04/21/67 Dearborn Mustang.  The Mustang came with a 289-2V, 3 speed toploader, and 8" open 2.79 gear.

I found the number 12 written on the bottom of the axle housing.  It written in white on the flat surface face which faces down when installed. 

From the examples I've seen in  67 Ford rear end plant(s) started using a new style of marking that may have been used to identify the complete assy. The white you found often takes the shape of a series of letters but they are often partically destroyed  so getting a good pattern has been impossible so far for me

There appears to be bright orange paint on the passenger side of the axle tube as it enters the main part of the housing.  There was not much paint left so I'm not sure if it was just a daub or was part of a stripe which had worn off.

Have not seen a stripe around the end of the housing tube for that year or plant - think it is more likely (llokign at others) that it was a daub or part of a number than is mostly now gone.

I'm not sure if the 3rd member had paint markings or not.  It looked like there could be a little white daub on the side opposite the fill plug.  It also looked like there could be a yellow daub at the fill plug.  These were so light I'm not sure if it was paint or not.

For your year and plant a yellow daub or mark would not be unusual IMHO at or near the fill plug. Some believe this indicated that the assy had been filled. I can't be sure and it really is not important IMHO that we understand why. Typically I see at least two sets of numbers and a combination of small slashes in everything from lavender, yellow, white, red, pink, green .,....

Pictures would be great. IF you don't know how to post or don't have a service to store them you can email them to me and I'll post them for you. Click on my name for the address
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline camelback

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:54:21 PM »
I cleaned the axle housing and 3rd member today. (05/05/67 Dearborn, 8" 2.79 WCZ-V1). I found a white daub near the fill plug, a yellow at the U-joint flange and a blue marking RH side on the 3rd member. The yellow and white markings makes sens to me, but I can not explain the the blue ones on the 3rd member.
'67 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build May 5th,1967 289/C4
'70 Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build December 16th,1969 302/C4
'71 T-5 Conv.Dearborn Scheduled Build October 8th,1970 302/C4
MCA #74746

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 06:03:44 PM »
With out seeing a picture commenting is not easy nor do I expect it to be perfect but lets try

IMHO what you found is pretty typical if I understand correctly

I cleaned the axle housing and 3rd member today. (05/05/67 Dearborn, 8" 2.79 WCZ-V1). I found a white daub near the fill plug,

On cars with rear fills and even front fills we often find a mark in yellow or sometimes white that many believe indicates that the  unit was filled. Seems yours possibly fits into that description

a yellow at the U-joint flange ...

There is a TSB article dated during 66 production describing a yellow spray mark that was applied to the yoke (described to identify one of the two ears). The idea was that Ford was having problems with vibrations and the marking allowed service personnel the ability to remove the driveline and reinstall it with the original orientation. In turn eliminating one possible causes of a drivetrain vibration. The yellow is fairly typically IME for 66 and 67 cars

a blue marking RH side on the 3rd member. The yellow and white markings makes sens to me, but I can not explain the the blue ones on the 3rd member.

By "right" I'm guessing your describing the passenger side face of the third member. What this may be is either what is left of the original writing or (seen many times) drips or runs of marking paint made during the writing.

We often find in one of about three different colors there a number - normally two digits that we think was an assemblers number. Often there were two of these sets of numbers on each subassembly (third member) so this is likely two different people that either had a part in the assembly or an inspector also.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:22:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline camelback

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:15:36 PM »
Uuhh...found your answer just now, sorry...

Actually it was just a description of what I found on my rear axle, but thank you anyway for your detailed answer Jeff!
'67 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build May 5th,1967 289/C4
'70 Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build December 16th,1969 302/C4
'71 T-5 Conv.Dearborn Scheduled Build October 8th,1970 302/C4
MCA #74746

Offline Blue_67_Fastback

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 09:56:37 AM »
i know this is an old Topic but since this fits to the rear axle, plant and date code i have...  (otherwise please move it)

Build Date of my car is 03/02/67 (Dearborn)
Rear End is "WCZ  -  V1"     "2 79    7CA   930"

(same Setup: 289-2V, 3 speed toploader, and 8" open 2.79 gear)

Here the markings i found.

What is the right way to document the marking before final cleaning and restoration?
What paint was used and can today be used? Any recommendation?
Do you “simply” copy and paste the markings after restoration?

Thanks enno
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:01:49 AM by carlite65 »
1967 Fastback, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 7F02C169xxx, Build Date 3/2/67
First Mustang Club of Germany 1964-73 e.V.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 07:22:02 PM »
What is the right way to document the marking before final cleaning and restoration?
What paint was used and can today be used? Any recommendation?
Do you “simply” copy and paste the markings after restoration?

You have documented the markings using photos - one of the better ways since the surfaces and curved making tracing more difficult - though an option IMHO on the housing at the bottom.

You can find enamel made today that can be used with great success in reproducing the marks. Suggest that you go out an buy the paint now, then match it (mixing some together to get is as close as possible if its not correct right from the start)  since digital pictures and lighting can change the look of the color. You might want to read the article in the Library on General paint marks. It might provide some additional help. Since most will not do allot of paint marks many use one of two (you don't want to run out half way through applying) little bottles of model paint. IF you find a place that carries a large variety of these there are a couple of hundred different colors as well as flat or glossy. Places like Hobby Lobby only carry a handful and will not meet your needs in most cases

Finding the right size (or making/modifying some) will help allot. Don't want to go back over the application multiple times since that is not how it was done.

If you haven't cleaned it completely (sometimes the process removes marks if too aggressive) you may find marks on the bottom of the third member, marks at the 9 and 12 o'clock position also. On some of what you've found is likely just part of a large mark so look for staining on the red oxide. There are a number of threads on how to restore the over all rear end housing as well as the third member and examples of the success members have had
Jeff Speegle

Offline Blue_67_Fastback

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 06:01:46 AM »
Thanks Jeff!

and sorry for not checking the Library first.
I wish I had the concours idea / thinking when I started the restauration. Maybe I missed and removed some during the process.

One last question: Have you seen markings on the Z-Bar?
Unfortunately I cleaned and restored it already… but took some pictures before.
Thanks enno

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 04:41:41 PM »
Car have power steering?

For the steering box we can see the black out paint sloped over the top surfaces with the brush which hide some of the marking originally yellow and blue are typical of one type of box

As far as a small block 67 manual transmission Z bar yes they are often found with an identification mark to help the guys on the line find and pick out the right one for the application quickly. Clutch rods and springs are sometimes color coded also
Jeff Speegle

Offline Blue_67_Fastback

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 06:33:53 AM »
Hi Jeff,

The car has manual steering. (SMB  A)
Unfortunately, I cleaned the Steering Box and repainted the Z-Bar before I even knew about markings. I will definitively continue to clean the Rear End very carefully. Upper Clutch Rod and springs were not original when I bought the car..
Thanks!